It might seem cliché that for my date with Rachey last week, that I took her shopping. But...if it's one thing I know about "tween" girls...it's that if you want to get to know about them, and have them open up to you...you take them shopping. What is it about gazing at clothes that you'll never buy, or laughing at bizarre-looking jewelry that you'd never get caught dead in...or trying on crazy shoes that again, you'd never really wear that opens up those lines of communication between a mother and daughter?
We had a blast together...I learned all about a few of the boys that she "kinda sorta" likes, but hasn't told anyone...she told me about what was going on in some of her classes, and why she doesn't like a couple teachers...and we talked about her first year of girl's camp, which is coming up in a month.
Rachel keeps so many of her worries and concerns locked away from the view of others, and so if you didn't know that about her, you'd be fooled much of the time. You'd think she never worried, that she was always confident and happy...and always had everything under control. She's a lot like me in that regard...maybe that's why I "get it" so well. I love that we were able to talk through a few things, and just have a lot of fun together while we were at it.
and....we did buy a few things. I needed a helper to help choose the Mother's Day gifts...
And...we also ended up leaving with a few new tops for Rachel. Not quite sure how that happened...ha ha! I owed her for babysitting...she likes the way I pay. :)
So see? Shopping is SO much more than just spending money...in fact I'd say it's a lot like guys going fishing. Except different. (Wink)
No comments:
Post a Comment