Thursday, June 5, 2014

Ladybug Quilt!

For this little baby girl, I decided to make a ladybug-themed quilt.  I saw a quilt on Pinterest that I sorta liked...it was black and white with pink flowers appliqued on it.  When I saw it, it inspired me with this ladybug project.  I completely changed the color-scheme and design of the quilt, but the basic idea is the same.  
 
I love it when I can visualize something in my mind, draw it out on paper like this...
 
 figure out all the dimensions and how much fabric I need
 
 go to the store and pull bolts of fabric off the shelves that will look good in my color scheme
 

cut out my ladybugs...each of them has three pieces...
 and carefully arrange the "random" color block pattern so that it looks good
 
 and then piece it, applique the design, and make that quilt that I had visualized in my mind come to life.  It doesn't always turn out exactly how I'd imagined it...but this one came pretty close.
 
 I've spent the past few weeks quilting it by hand, one little stitch at a time...
 
And here it is, ready for baby girl to arrive in a few weeks!  

No comments: