Monday, June 16, 2014

Happy Father's Day 2014!

Andy first became a father nearly 14 years ago (on the 23rd) when Taylor was born.  We had been married for two years...and I remember how amazing it was for our little family of two to grow to three.  How tiny Taylor looked in Andy's big hands!  I also remember how intimidating it was to think of taking care of a little baby and having the responsibility of providing for all of his needs.  16 years later...Andy is now the father of six children with the 7th on her way in just a few short weeks and he has done an amazing job at always being there for each one of them. 

Through the years, our kids have given him stacks of cards, and letters, and pieces of "art" that they have drawn or colored for him.  He is so sweet, he keeps all of it...but it's just stashed away and not organized or able to be viewed very well, so this year I decided to make him a scrapbook where he can keep all of the little lovenotes and keepsakes the kids have made for him.  I wanted him to be able to look at all of the "love" we have for him.

So here's his Father's Day binder...

with a section for cards...

a section for artwork...

and a section for letters and miscellaneous stuff from the kids and I.
He opened it up to find that we had already put in his stash of cards and pictures the kids had made.  He just grinned, and started going through it...and laughed at the funny things...and got tender over some of the other things the kids had made him.  I always stress over what I could possibly give him to show him what an amazing husband and father he is...but this year I think it became obvious that sometimes its just the simple things that mean the most.

Addy's Birthday feast and Andy's Father's Day Feast all in one!

I don't know how I got so lucky...Heaven must have been smiling down on me when Andy and I crossed paths 16 years ago.  I couldn't be happier, and the kids couldn't have a better daddy than him, he is awesome!  What a fun Father's Day we had this year...it was also Addy's birthday so we had double the fun at our house!
But really the fun began at church.  I love Father's Day...because the primary kids sing up front, and I love to watch our little kids singing to him.  This year was awesome.  Lainah (5 yrs) had just left the chapel to use the bathroom when they announced that it was now time for the primary children to come up front.  I quickly sent Rachel out to grab her...but it was too late...she was already in the bathroom doing her business.  I was so worried because I knew she would be SO disappointed if she missed singing to him!  Rachey was a great helper though...she hurried her along, and helped her wash her hands speedy quick...and just as the director had the kids all arranged and standing ready to start...our little Lainah came running into the chapel and jogged up the aisle and up onto the stage area.  When she got into place, she had the biggest grin on her face...and Andy and I were just laughing away.  I had tears in my eyes from laughing...it was just the funniest thing ever.  I leaned over to him and told him "I hope this isn't a foreshadowing of what her wedding day is going to be like."  To which he just laughed even more.
 
And Addyson had an itch to sing to daddy too...but she's too young to go up front.  Instead, she sat on Rachel's lap and we couldn't keep her quiet!  She kept singing "Elsa?  I know you're in there....we used to be best buddies, but now we're NOT!!!  I wish you would tell my WHY!!!!  Do you want to build a snowman?"  Let's just say it wasn't the Thuernagle's most reverent day at church...but it certainly was entertaining!
 
Happy Father's Day Andy!


No comments: