The cast iron harp in my upright grand Kawai broke last month. I was devastated. Not only was my piano very sentimental to me, (being a surprise anniversary gift from Andy) but it also had beautiful tone quality that can only be found in a full upright grand. I also loved the beautiful deep burgundy mahogany gloss finish. (Insert frustrated humph here.) I loved the way that this piano responded to my touch...it could be bold and loud, but could whisper for me as well. It could be heavy or as light as a feather for me. (Insert another sigh of frustration.)
We still have the old piano. I couldn't bear to junk it. Andy has been working on it, he has taken it completely apart exposing the harp, and we are in the process of figuring out a way to weld or repair the cracked harp.
However...necessity called. With 4 of my 6 children taking piano lessons, and with how much I play, and how much our family enjoys singing together...having a piano in the home was not a luxury, it was a necessity. So, I gave in to my friends at Dunkley's and bought a replacement with the written agreement that I have 10 years to trade in this replacement for my full purchase price towards my concert grand piano. I particularly liked how Dunkley's, even though they've been to my little house, didn't scoff at me when I told them of my definite plans for a grand in the near future. I had a different piano technician and salesman literally laugh at me and say, "where would you put a grand?" and then tell me that he had a few pianos that were "more suitable for me." I have to admit, I was deeply offended. There were a few seconds where I wanted to reach my hand through the phone and maybe squeeze just a little bit. He has never heard me play, and has no idea of my expertise on the piano nor how many years I have studied and performed. He judged me entirely on where I currently live, and it was obvious that my current home was beneath him and couldn't possibly house anyone with real musical talent. Little did this impertinent little man know that we are currently in the process of building a home that will have a designated room for my concert grand piano. Lesson? Don't scoff at others...you NEVER know what their skills are...or what their plans are...or what their potential is.
Dunkley's, on the other hand, has known me ever since I came to Boise 16 years ago as Miss Idaho...and even back then they gave me a brand new piano in my director's home so that I could have a piano to practice on during my year, with the stipulation that I come into their showroom every month to perform. A chance to come in to practice on a 9 ft concert grand for as long as I wanted every single month? What a great deal! I helped them with advertising...they gave me a free piano for the year. I sort of like the "deals" that Dunkley's music offers me I guess.
So...although it's not ideal, although it's pretty puny compared to my old grand...although it doesn't have the sound or touch quality that my old one did...and although it's a pure black ebony gloss rather than mahogany...it will do as a replacement for now. I suppose it's "suitable for me."
It sure has been great to have music in our home again. I think the "replacement" just may grow on me.
No comments:
Post a Comment