Monday, March 10, 2014

Bits -n- Pieces

In the early months of our marriage, in our tiny little one bedroom apartment while attending ISU, I often had car parts in my living room.  We didn't have a garage living in apartments...so there just wasn't any other place to store parts.  Andy rebuilt several cars during those first couple of years...a couple cars he bought wrecked and rebuilt for us.  One of them, we actually still drive, our Honda Accord was a totaled car but he rebuilt it and it has turned out to be a great car. 
 
So during those first few years I had bumpers, dashboards, steering wheels, carburetors...you name it, sitting in my living room at one time or another.  I think I am a pretty patient woman.  I did draw the line at one point though.  It was when he was helping another person rebuild a car to sell, and he brought in a dirty, stinky transmission into MY living room.  At that point, I drew the line and said that if this person wasn't willing to store it in HIS wife's living room, then I certainly wouldn't be having it in mine.  So out it went.  Hey, even an extremely patient and sweet wife has limits.
 
Well, now it's MY turn.  Andy was going to tear my piano apart out in the garage.  But, I was worried about kids getting into all of the pieces, or moisture damage, or any number of things that could happen to the delicate components of a musical instrument so...I suggested that we just go back to "old times" and use the living room.  Ha!  He was VERY resistant!  It cracked me up!  I sweetly reminded him of how patient I had been all those years ago with his car parts shenanigans...and I think he saw my point.
 
 So here is my piano...all torn apart.  Even if this doesn't work to get it fixed, it's been pretty amazing to see how one is put together, and truly how intricate and precise it all is.  I think the "scientist" is coming out in both Andy and I...we're weird that way, we both like to see how things work.

So I have 88 keys on the floor in one corner,
 The hammers and action in another,
 with other cabinet pieces and braces against the walls...
 and one pretty cute husband with his power drill carefully taking things apart one piece at a time.  (I actually know that he likes this...he gets this funny little gleam in his eyes as he starts taking things apart...and if the stories are true...he's been taking things apart ever since he was a toddler.)
So...it's not a dashboard, or carburetor, front passenger door, bumper...or thankfully not a stinky transmission...but my living room is once again full of a project.

No comments: