Rachel participated in the Middle School Vocal Solo & Ensemble Festival last Saturday. Usually, it is only students with private voice teachers who participate, but because her teacher, Mr. Olsen, knew that I was a pianist, he allowed Rachel to do it. I was nervous for her and felt a lot of pressure because although I know what sounds good, and what a great vocalist sounds like, I have no idea how to teach her the techniques of it. Voice is a completely different ballgame than piano. It was also difficult because we didn't have a piano in our home (because my piano's harp broke about a month ago) and so we had to find time to go up to the church to practice.
But practice we did, and I was so excited and proud of her for how hard she worked to prepare! She did so great that day. She is a 6th grader, and only 12...but she sang beautifully. I thoroughly enjoyed being her accompanist and performing with her.
The highest score you could get was a 35. Rachel was the only middle school student from East Valley Middle to score a perfectly perfect score of 35. They had to wait a few days to receive their scores and judging sheets and those days were like torture to her because she was so anxious to know what she got! I was so excited for her when she came home from school just glowing with excitement as she showed me her ribbon and the judging sheet!
She has a beautiful voice, I love hearing her sing, and I hope that she continues to work hard to develop her talent!
No comments:
Post a Comment