Sunday, January 18, 2015

Golden

At the beginning of December, the young women in our ward decided to participate in "Project Warm" and to collect coats, hats, gloves, blankets...any warm clothing and shoes to donate to homeless shelter in the area.  They made a fun contest out of it, and at the first activity when they explained all of the rules of the contest, they made trophies to award at the final night.  I remember thinking it odd that night when Rachel brought weird, random objects from our house.  I couldn't figure out why she needed to bring them...now I know.
 
The final night came, and all of the donations were counted and tallied.  Rachel and her friend Shelby won first place, so they won the golden trophy.  I love it.  All of those weird, random objects that the girls brought from home were glued to a lamp base, and then spray painted gold.  Rachel was so excited to bring home the trophy.

Seriously, could this have been any more fun?  I had to take some pictures of some of the stuff.  Pig snouts, scissors, bead necklaces...

a creepy little doll, a microphone...

A crown, the word "hope"...

hair clipper attachments...you name it.  I just laughed and laughed when she showed me this work of art!

there was even a car, and a fork.
Rachel had set up donation boxes in two of her classes at school, and her teachers were really supportive of her announcing to the class what she was doing and then making reminder announcements throughout the duration of the contest.  It was really great to see the kids at South Middle School come with donations for Rachel to bring in.  What a great cause, and what a golden opportunity for these kids to help others who are struggling or who are in need of our help.  It was a great way to bring the spirit of Christmas into our home and Rachel's life this year.

No comments: