I learned in Kindergarten!
Kindergarten, that magical year in school of coloring, pasting, using scissors...playing outside, eating snacks, taking rest time, listening to stories...singing songs, wiggling....learning how to write, read, spell, count to 100...etc, etc. There's nothing like it in the world, and Lainah is loving Kindergarten and thinks her teacher is amazing!
One of the fun things her teacher does to help keep the students' behavior at their best is to give them a daily "star" rating. At the end of the day, they get to color their star a certain color. Rainbow is the best, then purple, then blue...green is neutral...and yellow and red are not so great. I love picking Lainah up from school and how she'll jump into her seat with big wide eyes and say, "MOM! I got another RAINBOW STAR!!!"
Lainah came home during the first week of school and told me that she had to move her marker down to the yellow star for a little while during the day, but worked really hard to get it moved back up to a blue. I asked her what she had done to get it moved down. She got a little shy smile on her face, but grinned and said that she and another girl were crawling underneath the bathroom stalls instead of using the doors. I tried my best to keep a straight face. (I didn't even try for stern, I knew that wasn't going to happen.) I asked Lainah why she thought going under the stall would be okay and she said, "well...I don't know...I just wanted to do it for once in my life."
Straight face disappeared. Laughing began. Then hugging and laughing some more. What am I going to do with this funny, silly little girl? She assured me that now that she knows its not okay she wouldn't do it again. The real reason why I laughed so hard? Because I was about as straight arrow as you could be in school. I pretty much never broke rules...but in Kindergarten...I got in trouble one day by the first grade teacher Mrs. Jensen. For what? For crawling under the bathroom stalls. Maybe I just had to try it "for once in my life."
No comments:
Post a Comment