Friday, February 21, 2014

About Jeans

I had a conversation yesterday morning with Lainah.  It went about like this.

Lainah:  Ugh....Mom, I think I need to unbutton these shorts, they're too tight on my tummy.
Mom:  Oh!  Well, let's just take them off and put them away for Addy, they must be too little!
Lainah:  No, they still fit me, they're just too tight in the waist.
Mom:  Well, when jeans or shorts are too tight on your waist, that means they're too small.
Lainah:  Not really though Mom, because I can still squeeze into them.

So I then proceeded to explain to her that just because you can physically make your body squeeze into something, it doesn't mean that it fits.  After a little while, she saw my point, we took her cute little jean shorts and put them away for Addy to wear in a couple of years.  Then I had a funny thought pop into my head. 

It went like this:

Dear American society, I would like you to know that I have now just taught my 5 year old daughter how to know when clothing really fits, and when it's just plain too tight.  So in a few years, there will be one less teenage girl....or in a few more years there will be one less woman in the world who is out there prancing around in jeans that were meant for a person several sizes smaller than themselves.  I mean come on...no amount of glitter and glitz on back pockets changes the fact that your jeans are just way too tight for anyone's comfort!

Sometimes I make myself laugh.

No comments: