Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Time for Cake

I have been making my kids' birthday cakes ever since Taylor was born 14 years ago...there have only been a few...literally 3 cakes that I have not made myself.  Well, this is the 4th!  And I decided if it wasn't homemade by mom...then it would be an ice cream cake!  Lainah was so excited to have ice cream INSIDE of her cake!

And here we go...six candles to blow out...

but before we begin...Lainah had to be a little silly.  She tried several times to actually blow...but each time we all started laughing.  She's hilarious!  We had to keep little Addy away from the cake, she kept trying to take the pony off, and Matthew was concerned that if Lainah didn't get her candles blown out, that the pony's mane and tail would start on fire. 

But not to worry...she did eventually get them out and there was no fire in the house that evening.

Seriously...these clowns...

Andy and I bought this kitchen table while we were college students at ISU about 15 years ago.  We bought it used and found it in the Thrifty Nickel ads.  I remember when we bought it that we said, "yay!  This will be a great table until we can afford to buy the dining set we really want."  Well...now I look at this table 15 years later and I'm always amazed at how we can squeeze all of us around it.  It has definitely seen it's fair share of birthday celebrations!

Even little Emma got to wear a party hat!  But she didn't think it was fair that she didn't get any cake or ice cream.  Prunes are NOT the same...poor baby.

As tradition goes...the birthday star gets to cut and serve the cake!  Lainah wanted to save the entire section with her name on it for herself.  Too awesome!

And Matthew just makes me laugh at his quirkiness.  He decided after his first piece that he just wanted a little bit more ice cream...so he very carefully and precisely, carved out a piece of ice cream from the cake.  What a funny guy!

There it is...his piece of ice cream.  He is too funny.

One more successful birthday celebration in the Thuernagle house!
One last funny note:  when we were all finished, I put the cover over the cake and asked Taylor to take it outside to the freezer in the garage.  I made sure to tell him twice to put it into the FREEZER, not the fridge.  Well...the next day I went out to pull it from the freezer, and it wasn't there!  I panicked...opened up the fridge...and yep.  There it was.  In the fridge.  Luckily, it was still holding it's form...but it was starting to bulge on the sides.  I hurried and transferred it into the freezer before we had a cake eruption.  Taylor and I had a good laugh over that one.

No comments: