About a year ago, as a surprise, I divided my office/craft room in half, and moved Rachel downstairs so that she didn't have to share a room with three sisters anymore. I didn't do anything too extensive, because I knew we'd be building a house this year...but I did make it as cute as a 50 year old basement room could be without tearing out the walls and starting over.
Well. This old house, which was built in the mid 1950s apparently thinks I should have gutted the room and started over to do the remodel right. In fact, this old house must have thought that I should have gutted the entire basement and done a proper restoration job. Why am I convinced that this old house has that opinion?
Because about a month ago, it flooded. In the middle of the night. In fact, it flooded in the wee hours of the first day of school. Now that's a way to start a school year, wouldn't you say!? Needless to say, our lives were complete chaos for about a month. That first week of school was pure survival. With a newborn infant not sleeping through the night...this flooding could not have been worse timing. But then...when is it a good time for a flood?
Poor Rachel, Taylor, and Matthew had to move all their stuff to the upstairs living room and camp out for a couple of weeks. The water damage was extensive, the cleanup crew had to cut out all of the carpet, pads, and the walls halfway up throughout the entire basement.
While Andy, Taylor, and I worked frantically to box up our stuff as quickly as possible. My craft room, the home office, our family room with games, toys, DVDs, Wii equipment, etc. Our food storage room, which was full...is now empty.
And our new home, which is now in the framing stage, could not be finished quickly enough for our liking!!!I've had a few people say that I'll miss this old place when we move. So the other night, I sat down and tried to make a list of the things about this house that I would miss. I sort of came up empty.
Road noise? Nope. Outdated electrical that trips a breaker when I have my dishwasher running at the same time as my crockpot? Nope. The nice breeze that comes through year round through my nicely not-efficient windows? Nope. The 1970s mustard yellow kitchen linoleum? Nope. The extra narrow hallways that I am constantly hitting my shoulders or hips on as I turn the corner? Nope. I know, I think I'll miss the unattached garages. Wait, nope. hmmm...maybe the plumbing that makes me waiting an hour inbetween each load of laundry so that my basement doesn't flood? Nope. I know, I know what I'm going to miss! I'm going to miss the culprit basement toilet that ran all night long and flooded my basement, which will make our last few months in this home such a delight. That's what I'm going to miss. I might just have to pull it out, and bring it along with us.
In all seriousness, I really won't miss this house one bit, not one part of it. However, we have made lots of good memories here and those memories I'll look back on with joy...but the house? Nope. Not the house.
No comments:
Post a Comment