Sunday, October 5, 2014

Great Visits

I grew up living right down the road from my grandparents.  As a mother now, I realize how extremely blessed I was to live so closeby to both sets of my grandparents.  I spent so many hours and days up at their house playing piano with grandma, doing her hair, cleaning house with her, writing stories with her on her old typewriter, coloring pictures to submit in coloring contests, and eating ice cream cones and hot dogs with cheese whiz.  Grandpa was usually out working on a tractor, or plowing a field, or changing the water...so sometimes I helped grandma take his lunch out to him.  I always knew that Grandma and Grandpa's house was a haven that would welcome me at any time of any day, and I grew to love these two wonderful people so very much.  I still look forward to and enjoy talking to my grandmother on a regular basis over the phone.  She has so much love, and so much wisdom.  I love how she listens to me, and how she cheers me on in all of my endeavors. 
 
A few weeks ago, she and grandpa made the long trip over to Boise to see my niece and nephew be baptized, and also to meet baby Emma.  They are 84 and 87 years old...and have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember...I was so glad that my Emma was able to be held by them.
 
Here is grandma Helen telling Emma all of those wonderful sorts of things that grandmothers tell their little ones.

Emma was a sweetie, and listened to everything Grandma had to say.  She just gazed up at her like she knew what she was saying and like she knew who she was already.

I love how my children gather around their "Grandma Helen."  They love listening to her, and she loves sharing stories with them.  Watching them like this makes me so happy, so happy that they have been blessed to know her!

One of my favorite things about Grandpa is his ability to tell stories.  I remember as a little girl that after dinner (we had Sunday dinner at their house a lot!) we wouldn't leave the table...instead we would sit around to listen to my Dad, and grandpa talk and laugh over the same old stories that we had heard over and over.  But Grandpa was such a great storyteller that they never got old.  Through the years, his stories about World War II, about meeting and "courting" grandma, and stories from his youth have made me laugh, cry, and have given me strength. 

Taylor and Andy love listening to him too.  Grandpa wanted to know all about Taylor's football games and was telling Tay all about how they used to play in the "olden days" without pads and with leather helmets...and how Grandma used to be a cheerleader wearing a poodle skirt!

Grandpa's hands have done many things throughout his life.  From fighting on the battleship USS Alabama during World War II, to working on machinery on his farm, to giving Priesthood Blessings at times of need.  And now, his strong hands are holding sweet little Emma.   

I love how Rachel will just squeeze right in to snuggle up with Grandpa...and I know he loves it too. 
What a great visit we had!  I'm so thankful that my kids have had the chance to know their great grandparents so well...it's truly a gift.  I'm so thankful for family...and as I see my grandparents slowing down and getting closer and closer to that 100 year mark...it makes me so thankful for the knowledge I have that this life is not the end, that families are forever, that we continue on, and that after this life because of the sacred covenants we have made within the Holy Temples through the power of the Priesthood...that we will never be separated but will be together forever.  

No comments: