Friday, April 25, 2014

No Mistake About It!

When you are expecting baby #7, not very many people are excited.  It is a shame, but it is the truth.  In fact, you get so many comments from friends and strangers alike that are just plain vulgar and un-called for.  Most of the time, these little statements or inappropriate questions are posed under false façade of humor...but the words are cutting and offensive and vulgar, nonetheless.  I wrote a post just before I had Addyson two years ago about giving people warning labels...I do wish you could stick labels on certain people's foreheads...it would make everyone else's lives a lot easier!
 
With this baby, both Andy and I have had MANY people ask us this question, and I quote: "So...was this one a mistake, or did you plan it?"
 
WHAT!?!?!
 
So far, Andy and I have answered with a respect and politeness that does not match the disrespect or rudeness of the question.  But I just have to say that I cannot think of how this question is anyone's business, nor is it appropriate, nor is it friendly in nature, nor is it funny.  It is just plain wrong, offensive, and rude.
 
 
Yep...even though she'll be the 5th girl...I can't NOT shop for her.  Already accumulating cute little frilly outfits for our newest princess!
Yes, this is our seventh baby, but Andy and I (and the kids for that matter!) are just as excited about welcoming her into our home as we were to welcome our first baby 14 years ago.  I for one, do not believe that ANY baby born into our world was a "mistake."  Life is precious.  It is especially surprising and offensive to get open criticism and sarcastic comments when the new little one will be born to two parents who love each other, and who will be providing a loving, nurturing environment for the babe to grow up in.  It just seems unreal to me that others would call this a "mistake."  What a sad commentary on our time and societal values (or lack thereof) even amongst those of us who hold traditional religious values and should know better.

I used to wake up in the middle of the night when I was expecting Taylor (our first baby) and think of names, and what he would look like, what he would be like, etc.  I've done this with each of my children. Last night I was awake from about 2:30-3:00 am doing the same thing.  In fact, I even got up out of bed to write a name down on our white board because the cutest little girly name came to my mind as I was thinking about her. I am so thankful to soon be the mother of seven children.  It is a great responsibility as well as a privilege that I am so thankful for and would not trade for ANYTHING in the world.  Not one single thing, not any title, not any amount of wealth, not any possession...nothing could possibly even start to compare with how much I love and value and adore my children.

So make no "mistake" about it baby girl and seventh child...YOU were MEANT to come to our home.  We KNOW it, and we are SO excited to be welcoming you to our family...you are much loved already by the people who REALLY matter.