Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Business and Pleasure



Last week, Andy and I were able to go out of town for a couple of days together on a business trip.  It was wonderful.  For him, it was lots of meetings, but for me...once we finally made it down there...it was just rest, which is exactly what I needed.  My doctor told me that after week 30 I can't travel out of Boise, I'm currently at week 27, so this was my last "hurrah" before the baby comes in July. 
 
I was worried about the plane travel and security checks, especially with my heparin vials and needles.  My doctor told me not to worry, just put them in my checked luggage and I'd have no problems.  Well, I didn't have any problems making it through security...but when we made it to our condo and started unpacking, we knew immediately that our suitcase had been searched.  The corner pocket where I had all the needles must have made them nervous...a druggy was on the plane!  I just wish that as they're searching, they could be polite enough to put things back where they were and zip things back up. 
On the other hand, going through the Boise airport was pretty funny for me.  Right at the kiosk where we were printing out our boarding passes, the security officer commented on my "cute little baby bump" and started telling me about another woman who had boarded an earlier plane and how from the front you couldn't tell she was pregnant, but when she turned sideways, her tummy was huge.  This officer told me how sorry she was for the lady because she was only 18 weeks along!  But she said it was her 4th baby...so you couldn't expect much else.  In other words, she thought that if you've had any more than 3 children, you will automatically just be a huge pregnant woman.  huh.  Why is it that society just thinks it's okay to scrutinize and make negative comments about a pregnant woman's body?  I just don't get it.  It's offensive and it's wrong!
 
Then, she looked at me and said, how far along are you?  I told her, "I'm 26 weeks." and then she said, "Oh!  Well, you're so cute and little this must be your first?"  I shook my head "no."  Then she guessed "2nd?"  I again shook my head, and said, "No, this is my SEVENTH!"  I thought she was going to hyperventilate and fall to the floor.  At least she was nice though...most people I run into cannot think of one nice thing to say to me about having 7 children.  They can get so offensive, but she was nice.  So Andy and I proceeded our way through the different security checks and when we finally made it to the boarding gate...the officer there says, "Oh you ARE so cute!  We've heard this is your 7th baby!"  Okay, that's a little weird, to know that the airport personnel are talking about you.  Anyway, I just said, "wow!  I'm famous at the Boise airport!"  Andy laughed and said that maybe they needed to know where I was in case I went into labor or something.  ha ha ha.
 
Friday Andy was in meetings all day, and I kept trying to tell myself that I was in Arizona, it was beautiful sunny 90 degree weather and that I should go outside for a walk or something...but I didn't listen.  I stayed in the condo and slept, worked on a church lesson, and read a book.  I did pretty much exactly what my doctor has been trying to get me to do at my house...except I could actually do it because I didn't have little ones running around or big kids' schedules to accommodate.  The best part was that I rested without having to feel guilt about not doing the million things around the house that always need to be done.  Guiltless rest!  It is amazing!
 
That night we went to the Scottsdale outdoor mall for dinner.  I loved it, they had live bands playing, and yummy Mexican food.  We were both kind of sad that I couldn't walk around more, it looked like there was lots to see.
 
And Saturday after I checked us out, I met Andy back at the venue and attended the last two seminars with him.  It was fun...it sort of reminded me of our college days, flirting together in our institute classes at ISU.  ha ha!  Except now we were listening about medical billing...and watching a dental implant surgery.  But some things don't change.  I was the one taking notes on my Ipad...and he was the one who kept leaning over saying, "did you get that down?  I think that might be important."  We make a great pair.
 
After the meetings, we had a couple hours before we needed to get back to the airport, so we went to the Nascar racing museum in Scottsdale.  We both kept saying, "oh man...Matthew would love this!"  The museum is located inside the luxury car dealership buildings...no.  Not BMWs.  Those were across the street in the "regular" car lots.  We're talking Rolls Royce, Astin Martins, etc. type luxury models. 
My favorite race car. 

Andy's favorite.  He stuck his head inside, and said, "Yep.  It smells like a racecar!"
We thought Matthew would like these ones.

Okay...forget the race cars.  I fell in love with this car!  The sales associate (who happened to have the most delightful British accent) said I had good taste.  Ya...it's a 2014 Astin Martin Vanquish.  The sticker price is only $335,000.  It was a SWEET car.


Andy liked these Lambourgini's that were outside.  I wish the glare wasn't there so you could see the grin on his face. 

After perusing we headed back to Phoenix and checked in to the airport.  Going through security check, Andy's backpack got stopped because there was a big chunk of metal in it.  He had found a bolt of some sort on the ground and being Andy, had picked it up and put it in his backpack.  Oh brother.  First my needles...then his bolts.  Just a warning to any and all who may be reading this...you DON'T want to travel with us!

And I just have to document how thankful we are to our friends who took all four of our school aged kids while we were gone...who got them to and from school, brought them home from track meets, and showed them such a great time on Friday night...fishing, painting nails, etc.  The kids had a blast!  And we're so thankful to Uncle Kyle and Aunt Ashleigh for taking Lainah and Addy for us...they had so much fun at the zoo and playing with their cousins!  Andy and I have been able to go away just the two of us exactly...three times... since we were married with kids.  This trip was the third...the first was about 10 years ago when we lived in Iona and a friend offered to take our kids for us in return for some car work that Andy had done for her, last year we took a business trip to CA and our kids went to different friends' houses, and this trip.  Crazy that we've been married almost 16 years and only been able to get away alone 3 times!  Life is busy.  We SO appreciate you, the Andrews family and Kyle and Ashleigh!!!  Thank you for loving our kids for us while we took a little time away!


No comments: