Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Are You My Mother?

Taylor is such a nut.  He makes me laugh ever single day with his funny stories about school, or just the way he can see the humor in about anything.  I think it's a gift that he has, and I'm thankful that he has the ability to laugh at himself and find humor in life. 
 
Today he came home from track practice to the kitchen where I was getting dinner ready, and with a huge smirky grin he said, "Mom!  You'll never believe what happened to me today at school!"  I thought, "Oh boy...what this time?" 
 
I better back up and say that this morning before he and Rachey left for school, I was wearing a pink maternity t-shirt with shorts, and I had my hair up in a messy ponytail. 
 
Okay, back to Taylor's day.  So at lunch, he said he saw from across the cafeteria a woman who he was SURE was me.  He said she was pregnant, wearing a pink shirt and shorts...and he thought, "Hey!  Mom came to say 'hi'!"  (I think I'll take this as a MAJOR compliment, that to him it didn't seem out of the ordinary for me to be seen in the school...so okay, pat on the back for me for being an involved parent who regularly volunteers.)  Anyway, he got up from his friends and said that he walked straight towards this woman, who had stopped and was talking to some kids...Tay kept walking, and he said it wasn't until his was about 5 feet from her and she turned and looked directly at him, walking directly towards her with an excited smile on his face that he realized, "this lady is NOT my mom!"  He said he was actually trying to sneak up behind her to give her a big hug! 
 
By this time, I have the tears just rolling down my face as I'm trying to imagine what this poor woman's reaction would have been to some strange kid coming up behind her and giving her hugs, saying "hey mom!"  Tay said that as soon as he realized his mistake, he just kind of changed directions and walked off.  He said she was looking at him sort of strange because it had been obvious he was walking to her before he all of a sudden changed course. 
 
Too funny!
I didn't say this to Tay...but I thought to myself how sweet it was that my almost 14 year old son was ready to come and give me a hug in front of everyone in the lunchroom and wouldn't have been embarrassed by it.  I'm glad he hasn't outgrown that yet.  I'm still cool enough for him. 
 
Taylor, Oregon Coast, August 2013...being a goof as always.
He really is such a nut.  I think I'll be laughing about this little mom mixup for a while...and I'm sure Taylor will be more cautious about who he sneaks up on...hee hee.

No comments: