Friday, December 5, 2008

Still Smiling!

Do you ever have one of those days where you feel like you've been a drill sergeant all day long? Okay, a drill sergeant who says "Please" but drill sergeant nonetheless?


Please stay off the table
Please do your homework.
Could you do your homework without hitting the wall?
Stop arguing please.
Does it really matter? Stop arguing.
Please shut the fridge.
Put the cheese back in the package before you put it back in the fridge.
Would you please help set the table?
Why? Well, would you like to eat tonight?
Please leave your little brother alone.
Don't play in the bathtub.
Who didn't flush the toilet!?!
Could you please turn the lights off when you're not in the room?
Please put your dirty clothes down the chute.
Who dumped the Cheerios all over the table?
Zippy doesn't have opposing thumbs...he couldn't have done that.
Do we have a chimpanzee in the house?
Don't talk back to me.
Because I said so.
I will not argue with you.
This is not a request.
Oh, that does not make Mommy happy.
I do not negotiate.
I. Don't. Bargain.
Do I look like I'm kidding?
Do you see a smile on my face right now?

Okay...you get the point. Monday nights we get one and a half hours with Andy...for dinner and FHE before he goes off to study or finish up some project he's working on...Tuesday nights he works from right after school to midnight so we don't see him at all...Wednesday night is the same thing. Thursday nights he has Cub Scouts at our house so I really don't see him until 8:30 after I've put the kids to bed and then Friday...whew. Sometimes we get a Friday to ourselves...Saturday he's off to work for Dr. C or to study...and Sunday is just not the day of rest that it's supposed to be most of the time.

So...this is my excuse. I have to be strict because I'm being the mom AND the dad right now...I try to be fun, and relaxed and creative...but trying to hold a household together, to live off of pretty much nothing, and raise 4 children pretty much on my own is not that easy! There are a lot of days where I feel like my poor kids deserve better!

But then, one of my sweet kiddos decides to draw a picture of Mommy and hang it on the fridge...and there's one tiny detail in this picture that gives me hope that maybe I'm doing something right.

See it?
I'm still smiling.



Thank you to my sweet little Rachey for unknowingly making me feel like I'm doing an okay job.

12 comments:

D.Suth. said...

You know you are doing an amazing job, right? Your kids are great!

Tacie Kerr said...

I SO hear you!! On all accounts. I shouldn't complain because true single-parenthood would be worse...but some days. And it's so hard to be consistent...when I am tired and onry myself!
On a totally different note (because this is not Greg writing)...did Greg and Andy ever have a chat prior to Wed?

Anonymous said...

It lightens my heart somewhat to know that I'm not the only one who feels tyranical a times. It's nice that children are so forgiving and so loving.

Holly said...

That is so sweet! I love kids, they are so pure and many times a cure-all! I love how you noticed the smile! What a treasure for you!

Anthony and Rachel Orme said...

I think you are a great mom for doing all that you do. Your kids are very lucky. I love the pic. It looks just like you. :)

The Beecrofts said...

It is amazing, the little things that really mean a lot. (Like when Andrew says that I look really nice- not that he is a fashion expert- it is just nice that someone notices when I get out of my sweats!)

Thanks to the keeper of the stars said...

You are a busy lady! Only a few more months of playing mr. dad too! Hang in there! I am sure it is really tough, and I don't envy you for it. I feel like a drill sargeant a lot too. I guess it is better than the alternative......which is having the kids hurt themselves or living in a pig stie of a house!he.he. Keep up the good work! At least you say please! I sometimes leave that out!

kirstensblog said...

A heartfelt "I understand" and I have felt those tender mercies many times through my children, also. It is very sweet. Thanks for posting that. That was a good one.

Cannon Clan said...

oh man i laugh at the things i say on a daily basis, like dont sit on your sisters head, just said that.

elizabeth said...

How cute!! I love that list too! hahah :D

Lexie said...

I'm so glad that you feel this way sometimes too. I feel like I'm always barking out orders too, plus they seem to be the same orders day in and day out. You are truly amazing though and I'm sorry anyone would ever tell you you're crazy to have so many kids, I think your kids are totally blessed to have wonderful parents like you and Andy!

Ty and Sandra Belnap said...

Love your Christmas traditions, having a little mess around the house is well worth it.

Love you always.

Mom and Dad