So, Thursday night we got started. I mixed up the frosting (yes, this comes included in the box) and we helped them glue their houses together.
We were so amazed that their walls were straight, and the roofs were actually on the top of the houses.

The kids loved that they each had their very own bowl of candy (yes, included in kit) and I mixed up all of the frosting, made different colors, and then they just kept passing the frosting tubes around. 



Matthew even got in on the action. He was like Rachel, and couldn't figure out why Mommy wanted him to put the candy on the house...he just wanted to eat it.
Here's Brooklynn with her finished product!

Matthew sort of lost interest after a while...so I finished his for him. I hope he doesn't mind the pink. I could have kept going for hours...but just stopped when the kids were done. Weird, but it's really relaxing to goop a bunch of frosting onto a piece of hard cookie dough and then stick candy in it. Sort of therapeutic.
Here's Rachey with her finished house. Hers was the most colorful, and I really liked it. Notice her pile of unused candy to the side. Yes, I finally gave up...I mean, she's just going to nibble it off the house anyway, right? 
And here's Taylor. He even made some icycles on the roof. He really got into this project, and so far hasn't eaten any candy off of his. Christmas morning, his will most likely be the only one still in tact without any candy missing. In fact, I'll probably have to start asking him if he would like to munch off of his house. Funny how the kids are so different.

This is definitely a tradition that we are going to keep. It's so messy and time consuming, but it's also worth every minute of it. I think that next year I might just have to make them again instead of buying the kits though...because I really missed that smell of gingerbread. And to all you candle people out there, NO, it's not the same as a good scented candle!
Happy 1st of December!!!
7 comments:
You are too much girl.
By the way - make some gingerbread and just eat the dang stuff! That way you smell and satisfaction.
What a fun tradition.
That is great!!!! I don't think I have the nerve to try it with my kids, though.
I love the houses! So fun! Lucky kids, to each get their own! Your turkey looks like it was delicious. Sounds like you had a wonderful day! You look great too! I think the wii would clock me in at 65 or so. I now get out of breath going up the stairs......ha.ha.
Those are cute! I never did that growing up, but it would be fun to do when we have kids :D
Fun!! I love making ginger-bread houses! David is usally no help, he is the type that eats as you build, so usually there is not much candy to decorate with!! I love your little craft blog!! You are quite the crafty queen! Someday, I will learn to organize my time better, so that I can arrange to be crafty!:) I manage to get a craft in every now and then, but I would like to utilize my "craft" room for crafts instead of the catch all room!! Anyway, looks like you had a really fun holiday!! I am jealous that you got to go to the midnight showing of Twilight!! What did you think of it???
I saw your comment on Kirsten's blog when I went to comment on hers. Kirsten just found me on Facebook and gave me her blog address. I am so glad I "bumped" into you! We live in Nebraska now and fondly loved the old Iona days! I am so glad Kirsten found me, it reminds me of those happy times. How are you guys doing? Feel free to check out our blog.
Holly Pilgrim (From Iona, ID Ward) : )
Post a Comment