Saturday, December 13, 2008

Just a Little Tradition...

Three years ago, I started a little tradition with our kids...Each year, I buy them these little wooden picture ornaments for them to paint. It's been really fun for them. It's a bit messy, but I love decorating our tree and pulling these ornaments out of the box. This year it took us two nights to finish them because we did a few extra for gifts. Andy and I get to paint an ornament too...except ours aren't picture ornaments. :)

It's little traditions like this one that make the Holidays special for me. I remember begging my mom every year to make and decorate sugar cookies. She was so good to make huge batches of them and frosting and then let my brothers and I just frost, frost, frost. Decorating those cookies was something I looked forward to each year.

I am the object of ridicule nearly everywhere I go these days. I have people in stores, people in the schools, and even people at church (yes, our church) tell me very bluntly that I'm crazy for having "so many children" and that my house "must be so noisy and busy." I can see their judgement of me written all over their faces...especially now that I'm expecting yet "another one."

Well. Yes, my house is noisy, and is very busy a lot of the time. But look at this picture. Here we are, as a family, enjoying time together. If this is what "being crazy" is...then I'm really very thankful that I'm not entirely sane. And...I'll take my noisy busy children over anyone's possessions, pets, vacations, expensive clothes, or any other worldly counterfeit thing anyday. This is what life is all about.

4 comments:

Holly said...

That is such a great idea. Yesterday while driving I was reading through my Christmas organizer and it said to do this very thing with kids and how important it is for them. Then I see these pics of you and your little family doing it and I see what fun it is and how special of a tradition it can be for the kids. I don't have any homemade ornaments on my tree and I think it needs some!
Thanks for sharing!

Anna Rhodes said...

what a fun tradition. I should start something, but having been creative yet. By the way you aren't crazy for wanting a good size family. The Lord did say to multiply (not merely add)

Tacie Kerr said...

You aren't alone in those comments and gestures!!

elizabeth said...

Its funny how people will make an observation, then immediately assume. I get this a lot in three areas... 1. my weight, 2. my ethnicity, and (recently), 3. Clay being in the military. People automatically assume that 1. I'm anorexic or 17 years old, 2. I'm Mexican, and 3. that life's gotta suck. hhaHAha - little do they know!! :P Oh well... I bet I do the same sometimes to others not knowingly O.o .. but yea, I know what your saying :)