Thursday, March 6, 2008

Remember this?



I was going through my baby book, comparing pictures of me to my kiddos and came across this picture. Oh the memories it brought back! I think I'm about 4 in this picture. That chubby little bumpkin of a baby is my "little" brother Kyle, (Ash, I hope you're enjoying this) and Emily, there's Trever "back in the day"! I think he was upset because I always got to "steer" Fancy and he always had to be in the back because he was the biggest. Poor kid. And this is Fancy in her younger days because her dapples are dark grey and not white.

Someday we will move out of the city and get some land so that our kiddos can have evening horserides before bed in their pajamas. I grew up on this horse. I used to go out and sit on her while she was eating in the pasture. My mom caught me galloping her around the pasture one day while standing up on her back (I had watched a circus and was trying to be one of the circus riders). My brothers and I used to take her down to grandpa's irrigating ditch on hot summer days and trot her up and down the ditch because the water would splash us...and Fancy liked it too because it cooled her off. Grandma used to get so worried and tell us we were all going to drown. Mom used to get mad because we were running a horse on a hot day...but we argued that we were running her in the water so it was okay.
Kyle, remember all of those mountain trailrides when we had to ride together on Fancy? Remember the day we saw that bear on the Rainy Creek Trail and you were facing backwards in the saddle and I was sideways? We both scrambled to get straight in the saddle as we went cantering up the trail. Remember how we used to lean over as far as we could reach to pick the huckleberries, and to grab the cattails to throw at mom's and Trever's heads? I remember getting loads of pine cones to throw at everyone ahead of us...and mom would just calmly call back "Knock it off guys" while Grandpa Orme would be chuckling from behind. And we thought we were being so sneaky. All of this done while walking along a mountain trail on our trusty steed. And Kyle, do you remember feeding her banana peels? Don't deny it buddy, it's on video tape.
hmmm....what else... oh ya, and my Jr. year of high school, my friend Jennifer and I dressed up and rode our trusty steed Fancy in the homecoming parade in front of our class float. (By the way, our class float won the float competition that year...HA SENIORS!) I found this old picture in one of my high school scrapbooks and I'm wondering whose cheerleading skirt I borrowed for the parade, YIKES! Oh well, Jen and I had a great time.
As I think back, I can't believe we won that float competition. First of all, we WERE the Trojans, and our float was the notorious Trojan Horse. For those of you who have read the Iliad...the Trojan Horse is NOT a good thing for the Trojan side of the War... (oops) and also, it was made from a big refrigerator box, with another box for the neck, and another one for the head and then covered with chicken wire and stuffed with napkins and then spray-painted brown. We put maroon and gold and white streamers for a mane and tail, and a big R on the side for Rigby...but even so, it just looked like a huge ugly boxy thing. And I can say this because I was one of the Jr. Class Officers and helped design and make the thing, and so have a right to say that it was very ugly. All I have to say, is that the Seniors' float must have been HIDEOUS.....

Oh the memories a picture can bring. Thanks for bearing with me folks. :)

8 comments:

D.Suth. said...

that was fun reading abt how you grew up. Sounds like the perfect childhood!

thekerrclan said...

Not quite life in Cleveland Heights, huh?

Sherrie said...

Well, it wasn't perfect, but I'd say it was pretty near that. :)

Ashley, and Emily, Mom and Dad, click on the picture of us kids and Fancy, it goes a lot bigger...then you can see the details of our faces. :)

Ammieloris said...

Great pictures! (Hehe--we made some hideous floats in high school, too. Good old Idaho...)

The Beecrofts said...

Hey Sherrie- I love your blog. We just started, so I love looking at others to see how they do it and what they write about. I put your link on our page so I can check in easily. I hope that is ok. Stay warm, it is supposed to snow the whole weekend!
Kyla

Sherrie said...

Ammie, high school floats are hilarious, aren't they? The things kids come up with. :) And Kyla, glad you made it into the blogging world! Of course we'd love you to check back in as often as you'd like!

JBeacham said...

You keep your blog so nice and up to date with lots of posts! Yes, how would it be some day to have a bit of land and be out in the open instead of the "city." I love the section on the funny things kids say. So hilarious!

Justin *Anna *Daisy *Lily *Violet said...

So I didn't know you were into horses or grew up around them. They are so fun. We can't wait to get back to our horse. We miss our Smoke. Not to much longer though.