Monday, March 24, 2008

Eggciting Stuff!

In our home, the day before Easter is usually spent baking various dishes for Easter dinner, cleaning the house in preparation for guests, and of course decorating Easter eggs for the big occasion! This year...things went a little differently...

Andy woke up and said, "Well sweetheart, what do you need to get done today?" I thought about it for a minute (thinking of a million things that needed to be done, picking and choosing what I had time for, motivation for, etc.) and said, "oh, I have a lot of baking to do...I need to make the angel food cake for trifle, mix up the puddings, get the potatoes mixed together and ready to bake tomorrow, make the salads, and bake rolls." "Hmmm...okay, that sounds like a lot." (or something of that sort was Andy's reply.)

But before I get started on the kitchen stuff, I realize that I also have a mound of laundry to do, so I go downstairs to sort laundry and get a load going. (You know, multi-tasking.) The next thing I know, he has a power saw, yes a SAW in the kitchen. Not only a saw, but his tool box, and other miscellaneous power tool items. Before I can say anything, he has the microwave uninstalled, the oven covered with a sheet, and is in the process of sawing out the upper cupboards. I'm just standing there speechless. What do you say? Seriously...WHAT do you say??? How does this remotely help me in the Easter baking/preparation process I'd like to know??? At this point, I zip my lips and begin counting. One...two...three...four...five...six...seven....well, you get the picture. It took a lot of numbers for my heart rate to calm itself.

Well, to make a very long story short...by 2:00 a.m., Andy had moved the stove to where the fridge used to be, installed the microwave above the dishwasher, taken out the cupboards above where the microwave and oven used to be and put our fridge in that corner along with the spice cupboard. He had moved a gas line, AND a water line. (We had talked about doing this procedure for a while...but I thought we would wait until his spring break...guess not.)

Meanwhile, I had cleaned up behind him. (Lots and lots of debris.) Finished the laundry, cleaned the house with the kids help, given all four kids baths/showers...laid out Sunday clothes...fixed a lunch (this takes talent when the kitchen is non-existent)...and believe it or not, we even decorated eggs. The egg decorating didn't happen until 8:30 at night...but hey, it got done.

The baking? Well, I started the cake at 10:00, pudding layers all ready to put together the next day, I mixed up the potatoes to bake the next day, but when it came time to do rolls? Nope. That's where' I drew the line. Thank goodness for Pillsbury refrigerator rolls...that's all I have to say. :)

Here are some pictures of the kids' egg decorating fun.



7 comments:

thekerrclan said...

You are an amazing woman! No offense to Andy...but there would have been some VERY choice words flying around our house that day. It's not the project so much as the TIMING, right? We have SO been down that road...although, I am sure we didn't manage to get everything done the way you guys did. IMPRESSIVE! And now, I better get to cleaning the basement (Greg is painting across town and my "surprise" to him when he gets home is supposed to be a clean and organized storage room. HA!)

Ammieloris said...

Hehe! Nice story! For Easter I wanted a clean house. Even though it didn't really happen, Jonathan did scooch his saws and wood and drill into the corner (instead of the middle) of the living room. How nice!

Kristen said...

And he still lives??? Just proves that you are a better woman than I.

David and Melissa Belnap said...

You are a much calmer woman that I am! I have a really hard time moving and cleaning around Davids e-bay mess, and its not in my kitchen! I have just started vacuuming and dusting around the various piles of x-boxes and x-box accessories, when he finally gets them moved, I will be so confused! You are the woman! And, I must say, GO ANDY! All in a days work, and you didn't have to sleep on the couch! HEE! HEE!

Sherrie said...

Ha! You are all so funny! :) It's so nice to be able to share Andy's quirkiness with all of you. :) His random acts of spontaneous combustivity usually result in good things though...so I am lucky that way. :) Now if we could just work on the timing!

Justin *Anna *Daisy *Lily *Violet said...

Isn't it true. Husbands MEAN well, but don't always HEAR well.

Laura said...

That is so funny - I enjoyed the story! I just love the adorable way men try to help out. :) hahah enough said right?? :)