Monday, November 10, 2014

What a Nut...

Rachel makes me smile every day.  She will be 13 years old in about a month, and I just cannot believe how quickly the years go by.  When I was living in Ohio, a friend told me, "Sherrie, you can know what your kids will be like as teenagers by remembering what they were like as two year olds."  I remember laughing at his words, thinking that was about the most ridiculous and funny joke I've ever heard.  Well...turns out he's right on!
 
Taylor, who was pretty happy go lucky as a 2 year old as long as he had plenty of food...is pretty much that same way now at 14 years old.  And Rachel?  Well.  As a two year old, Rachel constantly kept me on my toes, she was always making "creative messes" with my paints, markers, sewing supplies, etc.  Weird, but she still does that same thing!  She also had the funniest sense of humor and made us laugh every day...she still does this now.
 
In fact, a couple of weeks ago, she had Taylor and I rolling with laughter as we picked her up after school.  We were talking about his day as we waited for her to come out the doors.  When we saw her, we both stopped talking, raised our eyebrows and looked at one another in complete surprise!  Rachel came walking down the sidewalk wearing her East Valley shirt.  She gets in, says "Hi mama!" like she usually does, and Tay and I just burst out with laughter.  I asked, "Rachey...did you wear that shirt all day?"  She just looked at me weird, and said "uh..yah...why?"  I was still just giggling and asked her if anyone said anything to her or looked at her weird.  She paused, and then realized why I was asking.  She started laughing too and said, "well yah!  Actually the security guard stopped me in the hall and said, 'You know, you're disturbing the peace.'"  She said that a few people just laughed, and that her advisory teacher thought it was hilarious. 
 
She is so funny, I just love her!  I love her confidence and ability to be a leader among her peers.
I did, however, ban her from wearing this shirt on South's Spirit Day. 
She and Taylor laughed...they think I'm chicken.  I think they're both a little nuts.

No comments: