Over the 8 1/2 years that I've been a mom...I've had some pretty funny and/or embarrassing things happen to me. Enjoy.
When Rachey was 2, I was at a Young Women's presidency meeting. We had our table set up in the foyer right outside the gym, where all of our kids were busily and happily playing. My back was to the gym doors. All of us (there were 6 of us ladies there that day) were busy talking and planning when they all stopped and looked at me. They all had these absurdly amused looks on their faces. Ahem. I turn around, and out walks little Rachey. Completely naked except for her shoes. I jumped up and ran over to her and asked her where her clothes were and she just gestured towards the gym. I remember saying "We need to get your clothes back on young lady!" To which she responded in her cute little 2-yr old voice "No, I's NOT a lady!"
I was serving as primary pianist in the same ward, when Taylor was a brand new Sunbeam. They were doing a sharing time on how we can tell our Mother's love us, and were giving examples of all the many things that mom's do in the home. One little boy said that his mom fixes the holes in his socks. Immediately, Taylor takes off his left shoe and runs up to the front hopping on one foot so everyone can see his left foot and yells, "My mommy told me she doesn't have time to fix MY socks!" Mind you, his left foot was nearly hanging out of what was left of his sock. It was pretty bad, and everyone got a good laugh out of that one.
For Taylor's 100th day of school party in Kindergarten he was set on bringing 100 of the "flavored/multi-colored" marshmallows. We were here in Cleveland at the time...that's an important detail. So, we're in the grocery store and it's very busy, people everywhere...and I couldn't find any flavored marshmallows, only white ones. So, I ask Taylor if he'd be okay with just bringing the white ones instead. He tells me in a loud voice..."no Mom, I don't want the white ones, I want the colored ones." A few black people look over at me and I'm sure that I wasn't white anymore...I was red. We now make sure to call them "flavored" so as not to offend any racially sensitive shoppers. Good grief. Oh, and by the way, I want "white" marshmallows changed to "just plain old regular vanillay sugary flavored marshmallows" because "white" offends me.
Last winter I was picking up Rachey early from school and she was outside playing at recess. I was carrying Matthew, and had Brooklynn's hand while speed-walking across the freezing playground. I couldn't figure out why Brooklynn kept getting slower and slower until I looked down and saw that her pants had fallen down around her ankles and she was having to kind of hop-walk to keep up with me. And I thought I was cold!
Friday I took all 4 kids into the dental clinic so that Andy could clean their teeth. We were in there for 2 1/2 hours because Rachel had a cavity and Andy just did her filling while we were already in there. So, in the Peds/Ortho waiting room there are two signs that say "No food or drink in the waiting room please." Ya right. I had brought a little baggy of cut up apples for the kids to munch on. Brooklynn said she was starving, so I told her to go sit on a chair and I gave her a sweatshirt to put on her lap. Then, I told her that the sign says I can't give her any snacks, but if she's sneaky about it, she'd be okay. (I KNOW! TERRIBLE HUH!!!) Anyway, a few students that we know walked through and asked Brooklynn how she was doing, to which she replied "um. Good. I'm eating my apples but mommy told me to be sneaky so don't tell."
I was in a Relief Society presidency when Taylor was born, and my first week back to church I had to conduct. Andy was in the EQ presidency and he also had to conduct so I got the baby. Anyway, I was holding Taylor while in front of everyone and he had just eaten. He promptly spit up and then filled his diaper. I had on a white shirt, and let's just say I quickly finished the announcements and had to go home and change. From then on, Andy and I coordinated our conducting months so that we could take turns having the baby.
Again as primary pianist and Taylor as a Sunbeam, they were having a sharing time about Lehi's family's 8 year sojourn in the wilderness. The question was asked, "how many of you would like to go camping for 8 years?" Taylor excitedly shouts out "We've done that before, right before mommy had Rachel!" I just ducked down behind the piano and laughed and laughed and laughed. From that day forward, the sisters in Primary had a great time teasing me about being pregnant and eating raw meat in the wilderness for 8 years.
So, there are many others but these are a few of my favorites. Kids are so funny.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
My favorite is the hole in the socks! I love hearing funny, embarrassing stories. I mean, at the time they aren't so funny (actually, I think yours would be funny in the moment, too), but they are great to remember and pass on to your children. I still remember stories my grandfather told us about my dad, and now my kids love to hear stories about them... so keep recording!
I love it! What mother hasn't had her fill of those "momentous" moments? Sigh. Do children ever tell the GOOD things - or is it only the embarassing ones?
That is great! I love those moments when you wish you could rewind for just a few seconds. Cute!
Thank you for sharing those awesome moments. They make me feel okay to be human and that I am in comraderie with a fellow "eat those apples but be sneaky" kind of gal. Sometimes our kids need to eat. I'll take them on for you! Happy day about your new girlie on the way! Any ideas for a name? Elena Eve? Kianna Kay? Eva Emmaline? Marissa May?
LOL. Great stories!
Those are good! What we live through because of kids! :)
Don't remember if I told you our new blog address. We're on blogger now, I think if you click my name it should take you there....:)
Those stories are great. I love that you remember them, that you tell them so well, and that you have them written down! I know I've forgotten so many great "moments" because I forget to write them. Thanks for sharing them, they made my day.
Kirsten, you even remembered that we do double initials! You're awesome! I'm trying to think of either an "A" name, or a "L" name.
Post a Comment