Sunday, October 19, 2008

Just an Idea

I absolutely loved conference this year. One of my favorite talks was Pres. Uchtdorf's talk from the Relief Society broadcast. His focus on "creating" and how that was a celestial part of our natures made me feel like my love for creating things wasn't just a hobby...but something really and truly worthwhile! Hooray! But so many of the talks were focused on finding joy and having unity that I just felt like the entire weekend was one big re-energizing boost that I needed. And...as always, I came away thinking that I needed to step it up a bit in our home, that I needed to find ways to make the gospel more a part of who we are so that the kids are strong and so that their budding testimonies will continue to grow.

We already have family home evening once a week, and I don't think we could ever go without it...one of the kids would remind us for sure. But, I was trying to think of a way to make the topics that we teach about last a little longer in our home.

This is just a little something that I've tried and the kids have really liked it: I chose a very simple scripture that went along with our lesson topic. This month we're concentrating on "Keeping the Commandments" and so all of our lessons will focus around this theme. We also already do a scripture and a song each morning before family prayer...but the scriptures have been random. So, I decided to try combining the two to see if it would be more effective. In our home, it has been.

I printed out the scripture that correlates with our FHE theme for the month on a piece of cardstock and put it on display in the living room. Now the kids can see it all the time and remember what we talked about, and in the mornings we recite this scripture before singing our song. After only a few days, all of the kids have this scripture memorized: Proverbs 29:18 He that keepeth the law, happy is he." It is very short and very simple, yet it's something that they each have stuck in their heads now...to carry with them throughout the school day while they are out in the world and away from our home. And hopefully, just remembering this simple scripture will help them remember the stories and discussions we've had during our lessons.



So, I know that I have awesome talented friends who probably have these amazing ideas that they're doing in their homes...I would love to hear all of your ideas!!! Please share!

2 comments:

Ashlee and Shane said...

I don't have any ideas. I am in search of them. Very creative Sherrie! Now i might have to copy that idea!! :) thanks!

Lexie said...

That is a great idea. I love that not only did you print the scripture, but you made it look beautiful. You are inspiring!