Yesterday inbetween sessions of conference, I was doing some sewing downstairs. Matthew was napping, Andy was outside working on the Accord, and the other three kids were supposed to be playing in the back.
So, I'm busily working on my project when I hear the door open. Whoever opened it, opened it with great care and was obviously trying very hard to be as quiet as possible. I stopped sewing to listen...thinking that if they weren't charging into the house at top speed, then something was definitely up.
So, the unknown person softly closes the door behind them, and I hear them let out a big breath, pause a minute, and then walk quietly up the two stairs leading into the kitchen. They only made one squeak on the stairs, which is saying something. They enter the kitchen, take a few steps and then pause again. I hear another big breath, and then the fridge door opens.
Here there is a long pause, and I hear what I assume to be the produce drawer open and then close, then another pause and a big breath. The fridge door closes. Then I hear the freezer door open. Now there is another pause...and then I hear this in a quiet whisper. "Oh...they're too high!" A big pause, and then a long sigh. The freezer door closes. (So, at this point, I have my hand over my mouth to try and stifle my giggles.)
Now the person takes another few steps, and then jumps onto the cabinet. After the jump a long pause and breath. (Obviously, this person knows Mom is somewhere in the house, and after each movement is trying very hard to determine whether or not they've been found out and if it's time for a quick getaway.) After the pause, I hear the cookie jar lid come off quietly and then I hear this...again in a quiet whisper. "Oh...they're all gone!"
Well, while they were up on the cabinet, they decided to look into the upper cupboard where baking supplies are kept. And I hear this. "Oh! There's some chocolate chips!" Now, this whisper was quiet, but it was apparent that their excitement was getting the better of them, because it was a lot more audible than the last few whispers.
So, I hear rummaging in the chocolate chip bag (all the time, I'm just down there laughing)and then they jump down, ready to go outside. So...at this point, I call upstairs and ask "Who is that up there?"
So, I'm busily working on my project when I hear the door open. Whoever opened it, opened it with great care and was obviously trying very hard to be as quiet as possible. I stopped sewing to listen...thinking that if they weren't charging into the house at top speed, then something was definitely up.
So, the unknown person softly closes the door behind them, and I hear them let out a big breath, pause a minute, and then walk quietly up the two stairs leading into the kitchen. They only made one squeak on the stairs, which is saying something. They enter the kitchen, take a few steps and then pause again. I hear another big breath, and then the fridge door opens.
Here there is a long pause, and I hear what I assume to be the produce drawer open and then close, then another pause and a big breath. The fridge door closes. Then I hear the freezer door open. Now there is another pause...and then I hear this in a quiet whisper. "Oh...they're too high!" A big pause, and then a long sigh. The freezer door closes. (So, at this point, I have my hand over my mouth to try and stifle my giggles.)
Now the person takes another few steps, and then jumps onto the cabinet. After the jump a long pause and breath. (Obviously, this person knows Mom is somewhere in the house, and after each movement is trying very hard to determine whether or not they've been found out and if it's time for a quick getaway.) After the pause, I hear the cookie jar lid come off quietly and then I hear this...again in a quiet whisper. "Oh...they're all gone!"
Well, while they were up on the cabinet, they decided to look into the upper cupboard where baking supplies are kept. And I hear this. "Oh! There's some chocolate chips!" Now, this whisper was quiet, but it was apparent that their excitement was getting the better of them, because it was a lot more audible than the last few whispers.
So, I hear rummaging in the chocolate chip bag (all the time, I'm just down there laughing)and then they jump down, ready to go outside. So...at this point, I call upstairs and ask "Who is that up there?"
No response.
Absolute silence.
Not a sound, no squeaking of floors, no breathing.
So I call again, "Who is that up in the kitchen?"
Again silence.
No breathing.
One more time, I call, "Who's in my kitchen?"
Finally, I get a huge breath (I think she was holding her breath the whole time and only responded because she had to breathe.) and this is the response I get...
Brooklynn's little sheepish voice calls down and says,
"I forgot my name Mom!"
Then she bolts out the side door and out to the back yard to play.
6 comments:
THAT'S THE FUNNIEST THING I'VE EVER HEARD!!!!! Dave and I are here cracking up. I LOVED your re-telling of it-each little breath and the little "mutterings" she made. That's awesome. Brooklynn is one smart girlie!!
We can picture the entire episode in our minds and are laughing like crazy. Boy can we relate. The Hamer Belnaps
Thank GOODNESS she forgot her name or she could have been in SERIOUS trouble. You know, that goes right along with the other famous childhood theory - if I close my eyes then they can't see me. So if you, in fact, remember your name and don't want to get in trouble - try closing your eyes Brooklynn, then your mom won't know who it is if she comes up. KIDS ARE SMART!
Thanks for a good laugh! You got a smartie on your hands there!
Funny what you forget when you think you're in trouble. Silly kids.
So cute. Coby and I chuckled at the "Oh they are too high" and the little breaths. Mothers know their kids mannerisms like the slow walking in the house and the quietness on the stairs were out of character so something had to be up. Thanks for the retelling.
Post a Comment