Friday, September 5, 2008

First Day of School

Four years ago, when Andy and I were trying to make a decision on quitting a career and coming back to school, one of the most important things we talked about was how it would effect our children. We talked about how when we were done with dental school, Taylor would be nearly 9 years old, baptized, and finished with the 3rd grade. Rachel would be 7, and ready to start 2nd grade, and our little Brooklynn (who during this conversation was only a few months old) would be 4 years old and ready to start Kindergarten. It all seemed so far away.
Well, Taylor is 8, has been baptized, and just started the 3rd grade. Rachel started 1st grade this year, and little Brooklynn is now a "big girl" and started preschool. Unbelievable.

They were all three very excited to start. Brooklynn especially, because she started preschool!

I can't believe how much they've grown this summer!

Here is Brooklynn standing in front of her school doors.

On her first day, the parents were supposed to stay and help them explore the classroom. She had lots of fun, and was excited to go to school the next day "all by herself".

Matthew also had fun on Brooklynn's first day. He was right in the middle of things, of course!


Brooklynn met her four teachers too, and loves them all. She wasn't shy at all, and just started playing with them and telling them all about her baby brother, her big brother and big sister, how they annoy her sometimes, etc, etc. I think that her teachers got a good laugh. I know I did. I wonder what she tells them about me??? (scary thought...I'm not even going to go there!)


And the last thing she did on her first day was to go out and play on her new playground. Both she and Matthew had a good time.

Funny Notes: Taylor: Taylor came home very disappointed on his first day because his teacher had previously sent home a letter talking about all of the math and science they would be doing this year in the classroom...talked about doing science experiments, and even starting a classroom blog, and Taylor was disappointed because they didn't get started on any of that stuff on the first day. oh brother.

Rachel: Rachel has a new gym teacher this year named Mr. Mahoney. She said she accidentally called him "Mr. Baloney" on the first day, but didn't get in trouble for it. (Whew!)

Brooklynn: Brooklynn came home after the first couple of days and had a conversation with me that went something like this:

B: "Mommy, there is a boy in my class and he is a bum!" S: "Brooklynn! We shouldn't call people names. Isn't he a nice boy?" B: Yes, he is. S: So, why did you just call him that name? B: Because that is his name Mommy! S: Hang on, "Abum" is his name?? (How do you spell that?) B: Yep! A bum is his name! S: huh. Wow, what a ...(searching for the right word, struggling.... struggling...) what an interesting name that is!

So, then just yesterday we're eating dinner and Brooklynn says: "Hey guys, today at recess I was trying to play on the tire swing but a-BUM (Abum) was in it already." (Okay. Could any of you keep a straight face if your little 4 year old told you that?) Needless to say, Taylor, Rachel, and I just busted up laughing. Andy was at work, and boy did he miss out on a great dinner conversation. To change the Abum topic, I asked her "Brooklynn, how was snack today?" oops. That didn't help. This was her answer: "Great! a-BUM is our snack leader this week!" Mental image...yes, I'm bad...but instant mental image is an old dirty guy with a cardboard sign leading a group of little 4 year olds down the hallway and to the lunchroom.

I still can't get used to her stories about Abum...just writing about it makes me laugh. And I don't know how to write it, but she really stresses that last syllable so it comes out like this "a-BUM"...too funny.

8 comments:

Anthony and Rachel Orme said...

Wow, three kids in school. I bet that frees up some of your time. I can't believe how big they all are. Crazy how fast the time goes.

David and Melissa Belnap said...

Time really flies! I would love to be a fly on the wall at your house! Brooklyn is the most insightful child! She really is super smart and says what she knows huh!!! Love the names that people come up with!! Poor kid

Thanks to the keeper of the stars said...

That is too funny! I am glad they all enjoyed their first day of school. It sounds like it was really entertaining for the whole family.I can't believe you are almost done in Cleveland! It seemed like you would be gone forever, but it really went pretty quick.........for us anyways.........I am sure it felt like forever at times for you guys!

Oliver and Keisha said...

Big Congrats to you guys!! Why keep it a secret when you were out here? That's great!

The Bell Family said...

Your kids are so cute! I love all their little comments, and its so funny that our little kids have so much in common. Sounds like you are doing great!!!

The Beecrofts said...

I lauphed out loud at the Abum part! Cleveland is so diverse! Matthew told me yesterday his two favorite friends in his class are Elijah and Jamal. I still can't get over how many Jewish people there are in Cleveland. Who would've guessed?

Dave and Loralee said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I'm totally laughing b/c he was in Emma's class last year-his name is Abem, and he is one of the sweetest kids you'll ever meet. He made a necklace and bracelet for Emma at home and gave them to her-I made fun of her for having a boyfriend, but she didn't get it. I'm not surprised that Brooklyn is friends with him-2 little sweeties together!

Rochelle said...

This is Rochelle, Gracie's mommy (from pre-school). I stumbled across your blog from the Rhode's. It's been so fun to read through your posts and get to know your family a little bit better! Congratulations on number 5 on the way! I had no idea... you look amazing. I'm sure glad Grace has a 'dental school friend' in her class! Brooklyn is about the only person she talks about... I'll have to ask her about Abum! :) We should get our families together sometime... it's rare to find another family with at least three kids out here! Better late than never, right?