Thursday, July 10, 2008

Holiday Weekend Service

So...a while ago, Andy was asked to go help mow some lawns at the church-owned campground up in Hiram. Little did he know at the time of signing up, that it was for the 4th of July weekend. Oops. We had actually wanted to go camping this weekend...but when the reminder from the Elder's Quorum came about what he had been signed up to do...Andy isn't the type of person to back out of a commitment...so what other choice did we have but to go up as a family and try to make some fun of it? So, that's what we did.

We got up really early (especially considering the fact that we had all been up late the night before watching fireworks!) and made it up there at 8:30 am. It was a beautiful morning out in Hiram, I love it out there. This is totally off subject...but Hiram is one of my most favorite areas in our stake.

So, Andy introduced everyone to Bro. Pack, who is one of the men in charge of the maintenance of the camp...and Bro. Pack gave out assignments to everyone. They had to mow all of the grass that goes alongside the roads leading into the camp, mow each campsight, and mow this huge grass field by the camp parking lot. They also weed-whipped edges, and made everything look really nice.

Andy was given the assignment to tame this beast of a machine. It may look easy from where I was standing...but Andy said he pretty much had to use all of his strength and weight to get it to make the turns...and it rattled like crazy.


Okay. Yes. This was an Elder's Quorum assignment, but I am so proud of our little 8 year old boy. All of the MEN got to use riding lawn mowers or do the edging. My little boy volunteered to help, and was given the assignment to use this NON-PROPELLED push mower, and mow around a long fence-line of pine trees. And...mind...mowing around trees involves pushing forward and then pulling backward in order to get up under the tree. I would guess that the fence line was at least 300 meters long. He was a CHAMP! When he was done, he could barely push the mower back up to the shed, and his face was dripping with sweat. The look on his face in this picture is one of pure exhaustion...the poor little guy smiled at me, right after I clicked the picture...then went back to his work. I honestly didn't expect him to finish the entire line of trees...I thought if he just did about a third of it that that would be amazing...but he finished.
Nobody worked harder than Taylor that day.

After Tay returned the mower to the shed, he came back out to the field with me,the girls, and Matthew. He wasn't out there very long, when Bro. Pack came over to tell him Thank you for what he had done, and he also told Taylor that he had done the job better than anyone had ever done it. Taylor had a wide smile on his face for the rest of the day. We have a picture of this little conversation between Tay and Bro. Pack because Rachey had previously been complaining of boredom and I had given her the camera with the assignment to take pictures of "bugs and grass". She decided we were much more interesting than bugs. It's a good thing I have a memory card that holds 400 pictures...she took about 200.

While we were out in the field, Rachey found a lady bug. I picked it up on a little stem of grass, and was trying to show it to Matthew. But Matthew just wanted to eat it.

The girls were really intrigued by all of the bugs and moths and butterflies flying around. Oh, and trying to find a four-leaf clover.


We played frisbee and baseball out in the field for a while more, and then the kids discovered that the volleyball sand-court was the perfect wetness for sand-castles. So...they started building. And they played in the sand until the guys were done mowing.


After the work was done and everyone left, our family made a campfire and roasted hot dogs and marshmallows and enjoyed the afternoon. It really was a good experience for the whole family.

Sometimes, I think that people may think we're a little crazy because we try to involve our entire family in different assignments. But, with the callings that we have combined with school and work schedules...if we didn't involve the whole family...we wouldn't see each other very often at all.

There have been many stake YW functions where I've had Andy and our children there with me...setting up for modest prom each year, leadership mtgs, ward conferences, activities, etc...and each week the kids and I go with him to scouts. When it's our week to clean the church, we go as a family and give each of the kids something to do. Is it always fun? No! Is it easier that way? Nope! It would certainly be easier if we just left the spouse and kids home while we went out and did our assignment. But then...what would that teach?

This assignment with the Elders Quorum, which really did cut into our holiday weekend plans, actually turned into a good experience, especially for our son who was given an opportunity to serve alongside his dad and was made to feel important and appreciated for a job well done.

Each time we go as a family, I hope that our children will see Andy and I serving willingly even when it's not convenient, and develop a desire of their own to help and serve in whatever way they are capable.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job Taylor. We are proud of you. Service with your family is great. "The leisure time of children must be constructively directed to wholesome, positive pursuits. Too much television viewing can be destructive. Families must spend more time together in work and recreation." Ezra Taft Benson
Love you Guys the Hamer Belnaps

Kristen said...

Both you and Andie are great parents. There are days that I think that I should just send my boys over to your house to be raised right.

Thanks to the keeper of the stars said...

That was really nice of Andy to volunteer to do that! What a huge project! I think it is great that you take your kids to service projects. Kyle and I try to do the same. Even though,like you said, it would be much easier and more productive not to. The pictures were so nice.Have a great day!
p.s. the pink bag was a gift from our friends. It had some books in it, that we had let them borrow. They also had a real gift hiding in the car. It was creative on their part! funny too=0)

Anonymous said...

What a fun project for the whole fam! Sounds like you made the best of it. I don't know what I would do so far away from the west...it's home. I lived in Salt Lake for a few years, and even that made me miss home so bad I could hardly wait to get back. Do you think you will ever move back here?

Lexie said...

You really are such great examples of service. I've always admired that about you and your cute family and look at how Taylor is already learning from his parents. What a big job, that is really amazing! It's fun to see all the great things you do together, I wish we could have gone camping with you!
PS Your pie looks amazing, you really can do it alL!

Sherrie said...

Jodi...we are sure trying! We don't plan to come back to the snake river valley...but are hoping to come to the general area. :) We do miss it tremendously...there are moments where it tears my heart apart just thinking about how much I miss it...and then I just get back to work and deal...and find that I can be happy where I'm at. :)