Thursday, July 3, 2008

Taylor's Baptism

Last Saturday, the 28th, Taylor was baptized a member of our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. When Jesus Christ was on the earth, he was baptized by John the Baptist in the River Jordan. Although Christ was perfect, he was baptized to be obedient to Heavenly Father, and also to be an example for all of us to follow. On Saturday, Taylor literally followed the Savior as he chose to be baptized, to take upon him the name of Christ, and to make covenants with our Heavenly Father.

Andy told Taylor during his talk at the baptism, that he had been thinking about what he would say to Taylor during this moment for 8 years...and that's truly how it's been for us as parents. I remember when Taylor was just a newborn baby, feeling that responsibility to teach him what was right, to teach him about faith, to teach him about his Savior, Jesus Christ and about our Heavenly Father. Through the years, we've tried to find the teaching moments to talk about the doctrines, and to express to him our feelings about what we believe. The first Family Home Evening of every month we have a testimony meeting...and it has been very humbling to listen to the pure and simple testimonies of our children. They recognize truth...and they know they are children of God.

Saturday, as he walked down the steps into the water...I felt overcome by many thoughts, and feelings. I knew that at that moment, our Father in Heaven was completely aware of my little boy and I felt His love for Taylor. What a tremendous moment.

I was so busy trying to make sure everything was ready...that I nearly forgot to take pictures beforehand. Thankfully, President Stacey asked if he could take some pictures for us. Thank you! And Dad...thank you for reminding me of the biblical story of Mary and Martha. I needed to be Martha right up until we started...but then I was able to be Mary and enjoy listening to and appreciating everything. :)

Here are my boys...


Here we are!!!

Andy entering the font.


And here is Taylor. He had been so nervous, he said he didn't want very many people there because he would be too nervous. But, we were thankful for the family members and friends who came...
He had his siblings Rachel, Brooklynn, and Matthew of course...grandpa Belnap was there as one of the witnesses, Aunt Emily, Aunt Gretchen, and cousins Isabel, Vaughn, Madalyn, Maryn, and McKay...and then some little friends from the ward. Brooklynn was so excited for him...she keeps telling us that in five years, she'll get baptized too.
And I just have to say thank you to our great friends from the ward and stake who came to support us! You came and helped with pictures, with the slideshow...you watched my little Matthew so I could just enjoy the day...but most of all you took time out of a busy Saturday to come and be a part of Taylor's special day. Thank you!

I put a few video clips of Taylor talking about different topics into the slideshow...I didn't feel like I could put his testimony on the blog...but here he is explaining about the covenants we make at baptism.

8 comments:

D.Suth. said...

What a great experience. I remember when we moved here and you were bearing your testimony, or talking in church, and you mentioned how he was abt to start kindergarden and you were nervous.
Now he's past another milestone.

So, I was thinking... I am putting in a blog post request. I want to hear about your miss Amer pageant including some PICTURES! That would be such a fun entry. If you are too humble to do it, just tell everyone that I made you!

I am excited so I will be waiting :)

thekerrclan said...

Congratulations! We'll be doing the same thing with Cannon next month. Hard to believe how time flies.

Mohna said...

We are so proud of you Taylor! And we love you and were thinking of you on your special day!

Auds Beck said...

that is so great! I wish we could have been there! What lucky kids you have to have such great parents! You all looked great-congrats Taylor

David and Melissa Belnap said...

Congratulations Tay! You look so grown up and handsome!

Becky and JJ Campbell said...

Taylor, congratulations. We are so excited and proud of you for the amazing decision you made. Michael says hi and he misses you.

Lance and Caetie said...

I love that video--great idea! You guys have a lot to be proud of, what a special boy.

Kristen said...

What a great day. I'm so sad that we were not able to be there. Thanks for letting us be part of your family even from a distance.