Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Distractions

Today I was practicing a piece on the piano that I will be playing for the 4th grade choir when I realized that two of my fingernails were too long and were clicking on the keys. I couldn't concentrate after that and finally with a little "huff," stopped playing and decided to go straight into the bathroom and clip them off.

On my way into the bathroom, I noticed Lainah's blanket on the floor, so I picked it up, folded it, and hung it over the side of her crib. By the side of her crib was one of Brooklynn's shoes, so I picked it up and put it on her shoe shelf in her closet. On the floor of her closet, I noticed that the girls' hamper was overflowing, so I picked it up and took it down to the laundry room and sorted the clothes into the right bins. At that point, I decided that now was as good a time as any to start up a load of dark blues because that was the biggest pile and needed attention. While getting that load in, I noticed that the washer and dryer was really dusty with lint, so after getting the load started I took out a clorox wipe and wiped down the top of them both. While I was wiping things down, I decided to wipe off a few smudges on the laundry room walls. Several wipes later, I was at the top of the stairway, still holding the wipes container. With a sigh, I took the container back down to the laundry room and put it away. I then noticed the girls' hamper, and picked it up to put back upstairs in their closet. While making my way through the kitchen, I realized that I was really thirsty so I got a tall glass of water and sipped it down while looking out the back kitchen window. After finishing my drink, I continued on to the girls' room, put the hamper away and then went back to the living room. I sat back down to the piano and started practicing again.

What!?! That awful annoying "clicking" noise was still there!

Ahhh!!! I had forgotten to clip my nails.

With another "huff," I got back up and headed toward the bathroom.

12 comments:

Jamie H. said...

Ha! I can SO relate! We women are a little too good at multi-tasking sometimes, I think! I do that all the time..or I forget what I just went into the other room to get!

Anthony and Rachel Orme said...

LOL! I love this! It is so true. It happens to me almost daily. :)

thekerrclan said...

Are you living my life? Well, except for the piano playing part...

Sariah said...

LOL This sounds so familiar!

Here is one of my posts from a couple of years ago...

http://sariahsays.blog-city.com/really_quick.htm

Sherrie said...

I know girls! It is a familiar story, isn't it! And yet every time I do it, it still makes me laugh at myself. :) so I just had to post it! So glad that I'm not the only one who does this once in a while! :)

elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
elizabeth said...

Sorry - I left out a word and it was bugging me... This is what I said:

Lol, Sherrie - I am SO glad I'm not the only one that does this... I have seriously felt like I'm losing my mind when I get up to do one then then end up doing 10 other things, forgetting what I had started in the first place! Or - when I walk into the kitchen and then forget what I went in there for.

MetroParks said...

You could write a children's book for mothers with this post. It reminds me of "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" or "If You Give a Pig a Pancake." You choose whether you want cookies or pancakes:)
So funny!!!

Thanks to the keeper of the stars said...

That sounds very familiar! ha.ha. That is funny. I am glad to know I am not losing my mind......I am just a little distracted=)

Perfectly Imperfect said...

My question is - what did you find when you got back to the bathroom to get the clippers? CERTAINLY you found SOMETHING to distract you!!! This is why a mother NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER seems to get ANYTHING done - we get PLENTY done - just NEVER what we PLAN to do.

Lexie said...

What a riot and how often do we all do it?

Auds Beck said...

It's nice to know I am not the only one who gets stuff done by distraction cleaning! It's really annoying but man you can really get some stuff done:)