Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Little Explanation

Some of you may have noticed that my blog suddenly became a private one for a few days, and you may have been wondering what in the world was going on! First of all, I wanted to make my blog a private one from the start, but kept it open so that it was easier for a few of our friends and a few family members to get onto it.

But, last week I closed it down completely. Quite to our surprise, Andy and I found ourselves under verbal attack from some people we thought to be very close to us...they criticized our decision to leave a career and come back to dental school, moving away from family in the process, they laughed at the huge sacrifice coming back to school has been for our entire family, especially our children, they criticized our decision to come and visit family last summer, and accused us of many, many things that were very hurtful and were grossly untrue. They also were extremely disrespectful and critical in their comments about our children, whom we love so much. It was the way in which they belittled our children, and the toll these four years has taken on our little family that really was the last straw and so in order to protect my family from their critical and hardened eyes, I closed the blog.

I just couldn't bear the thought of them even occasionally reading about the wonderful things that my children are doing, and looking at their beautiful pictures. My children are as jewels to me, and I just couldn't bear for them to treat my treasure in such a way.

So, dear friends who have supported us and stayed close to us throughout the years...this is why when you came to visit our blog you suddenly found it closed.

Over the weekend, I had a change of thought. I remembered that I've always despised exclusiveness in all of it's forms. It completely goes against my nature to exclude someone from an activity that I'm involved in. So I am reopening the blog.

Now, just for the record...I'm sure all of our amazing friends and family already know this...but just so that you know that WE know this. Andy and I are far from perfect. I know this may come as a shock to some of you (sarcastic laugh inserted here) but we miss birthdays of dear friends and family members, we forget names, we frown, occasionally we yell, we both weigh more than we should and are doing absolutely nothing about it right now, sometimes we have nervous break downs so watch out for a blue Honda Odyssey that is driving out of control, we stay up way too late drinking hot cocoa or postum and then don't want to get out of bed in the morning, sometimes Sherrie doesn't make the bed, and most of the time Andy leaves his dirty socks on the floor.

Our five children are also far from perfect. We fully admit that they fight, they argue, they have messy rooms, they spill food, they occasionally break dishes, they color on the walls (they are well-acquainted with magic erasers), they have occasional bedtime accidents, they get filthy with mud and grass stains, they intentionally throw their balls into the neighbors yard so that they can go get them, they occasionally pull the cat's tail and eat his food, and they even eat with their mouths open and even worse talk with mouths full of food. I know, it's terrible.

We also admit that our lives are not a fairy tale. Nope, we're not looking for sympathy here friends...it's just the facts. We actually get sick, we have to take our children to the hospital far more than we would like for things like bleeding heads, broken hands, kidney infections, etc. With five children, there are bound to be injuries and sickness much of the time. When our house gets the flu bug...it's not just the "24 hour bug" it's the 24 hour bug multiplied by 7 people, which comes out to be at least the 168 hour bug. When the doctor says to "give it 14 days", then we multiply that by 7 and we get...well...you get the idea.

BUT...we don't blog about that stuff! Honestly, I don't even journal about most of that kind of thing. What's the point in accentuating the negative in a person or people? No, the sort of things I choose to blog about are all of the positive things and wonderful accomplishments that involve Andy, myself, and our children. So, we are fully aware that we are not perfect and that we have our problems...but you most likely will not be reading about our imperfections or our problems here on this blog. Sorry! Just watch the nightly news for that sort of thing!

So my friends, please forgive me for the glitch in the open blog, but we're up and running again. We love you all, and love reading your blogs and keeping up with your families...sometimes we don't comment on every post...but we still love you nonetheless!!!

18 comments:

Becky and JJ Campbell said...

Sherrie, I am so sorry to hear that. Know you are not alone in the decisions you have made and that it is worth it. You are wonderful and your kids are wonderful too. I am glad you are back on line though.

Ashlee and Shane said...

I am sorry to hear that. How frustrating is that! Sounds to me like these people are jealous of your good life. You guys are a wonderful family....and of course we all have imperfections, who doesn't. I am glad you are back online though. Yes, school is a sacrifice, but like Becky said, so worth it. Your kids will remember these years as good one's. I remember my dad going through medical school. They were some of the best days. YOu learn to come close as a family through the more difficult times in life. Anyway, sorry about that, you guys don't deserve that. :)

The Bell Family said...

I relate completely! Keep plugging along, just like you're doing!!!!!

elizabeth said...

Sherrie - all I have to say is I LOVE YOU!!! :) hehe...

Also - I bet its extremely frustrating to think that your friends are going support your decisions - what ever that may be (given that you are adults and know how to make decisions for yourselves), but then turn out to do the opposite. People that criticize correct decisions you've made concerning your family aren't the ones receiving personal revelation and won't be living with those decisions!

It's ok to have imperfections - its what makes you guys unique! People that love you don't care if you miss their birthday or if you have dirty socks - it really doesn't matter!

We've had some interesting input from random people regarding Clay joining the Air Force - but the thing that stands out the most is knowing it was the right choice. The rest doesn't matter.

LASTLY!! If people are RUDE, you could revert to a child-like state, plug your ears with your fingers and say, "LAlAlALAL I'm NOT liSTEnING!" :)

Anthony and Rachel Orme said...

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that too. I had another friend who had the same kind of thing happen to her. I just don't get it... nobody is forcing these people to read your blog. If they don't like what you are all about, then they need to just move on. I think you are a great mom. I admire all you do for your family.

Brek said...

Sherrie, you should never feel like you have to explain who your family is. Those who love and respect you know you are not perfect, but they also know that no one is. I'm glad you opened it back up. I don't always comment, but I love reading about your family. :)

Dave and Loralee said...

shoot...it was good to hear that sometimes you don't make the bed, b/c our bed is NEVER made. ever. never never never. not kidding :) Too bad some people can't just be happy with other people's happiness and successes, but hopefully they'll learn. I'm sorry you've been so frustrated! We love you guys and I'm so glad you kept the blog up b/c it sure would be disappointing not to keep up with you guys once we're all gone!

Sariah said...

I ditto everyone else! I'm sorry that this has happened, it is especially painful when the people saying those kinds of things were supposedly friends. :(

We love you though! We love you exactly as you are. Thank you for making your blog public again.

(((hugs)))

Kristen said...

It is the imperfections that make us love you more. And you notice you don't see the messy bedrooms or the homework not done on my blog either.

Jamie H. said...

I'm SO sorry that that happened to you! I'm sure that it really hurt, but I am proud of you for rising above it! You and Andy have done a fantastic job with your family. I can tell just from reading your blog that there is a lot of love and respect in your home and that you have a great time together! I can't wait until you move here and I can get to know your family even better! Keep smilin'...your almost back to being an Idaho girl again!!

Holly said...

I am so sorry that people have been rude, especially about your kids. You did the right thing, when it comes to kids you can never go over board in protecting them. Mean people stink and I hope they stay off your blog!
I do want to say you are so sweet and were always so sweet to me back in Iona that I can't imagine anyone being mean to you!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

That is the SAME EXACT reason I NEVER send Christmas letters any more. Sometimes I send a card with a picture - but never a letter. That sucks. I hate getting blind-sighted by hateful words - then throw in my kids - guess what? I will probably be eating someone!

Meghan & Roger said...

So is it bad that before we had a kid that sometimes we would close all the blinds in the house, turn off all the lights, order some pizza and just sit around and watch movies on a saturday with out ever taking off our pj's? I HAVE to know!!
Also I need to know if Andy is a doctor yet? Cuz I got this weird rash, it all started when I started calling myself Humpty, pronounced with a Umpty. Some of my symptoms are:
I like to rhyme,
I like my beats funky,
I'm spunky. I like my oatmeal lumpy.
I'm sick wit dis, straight gangsta mack
but sometimes I get ridiculous
I'll eat up all your crackers and your licorice!
Do you think there is something you can do to help me? Please let me know this is SERIOUS!

bythewayyouguysareawesomeandweloveyou! Take Care

Laura Davis said...

I'm so taking you guys, and your kids, out for a drink when you get here. Chin up lil camper. You are surrounded by people who love you and are pulling for your success. You should listen to us more...move to Pocatello...

Haley said...

Your family is strong and I commend you for doing what you did. I appreciate that nobody is perfect and it's okay that we aren't. Thanks.

The Beecrofts said...

I heard once that people think of happiness as a limited good- that is why they don't want you to be happy (because then you are taking all the happy and there won't be enough happy left for them). That is why they will criticize and try to make you miserable. They don't realize that happiness is an unlimited good- there is enough happy for everyone!

I feel really blessed to have known you these last four years. You are clearly a hard working, loving, faithful, fun family. You've been great examples to us. I'm glad the blog is back on- I'd love to see what you are up to for years to come!

Ammieloris said...

I've been meaning to comment on this for a while. I'm sorry you've felt criticized. I think sometimes we are hard on others because we feel insecure ourselves. Your post reminds me to never judge others, even if I feel bad by comparison.

I also like your efforts to document the wonderful moments of your life. I try not to document too much bad stuff in my blog, because I think that the way we write about and talk about our lives changes what we remember and think our lives mean.

I am glad to be able to read your blog again! I love reading it!

Lexie said...

Sherrie,
Wow! I can't even imagine how much that must have hurt because I know how wonderful you are and how much you were needed in our little Cleveland community. For what it's worth, I think that your family is incredible, mostly because you and Andy do such a great job of prayerfully leading them by example. You are incredible and I'm glad you'll still be blogging, how else would I know what you're up to, or how your kids are getting even cuter?