Sunday, February 8, 2009

Without Further Ado....

Introducing
Lainah Lorraine Thuernagle!
Born Monday, February 2nd, 2009 at 12:48 a.m.

Weighing in at 6 pounds, 15 ounces and 20.5 inches long...and did we mention that she is the cutest thing ever!?!

So, last Sunday evening at around 11:30 I was casually dropping things into the hospital bag in preparation for my appointment to be induced the next morning at 6:00 am. Andy comes up to the bedroom and starts reading a book. He asks me if I'd like to have a blessing tonight or in the morning before we leave. I tell him that I'd rather have it tonight so that we aren't rushed in the morning.

About 11:40ish...Andy gives me a blessing. I finish packing hospital bag and get into bed. Andy is still reading. I have a very painful contraction and have to breath through it...yes ladies, one of those. To the men...nevermind. Hmm...I've been having these all day but this one was just around 12 minutes from the last one. "Oh well..." I think. I try to go to sleep. Eight minutes later, I have another one, just as painful. I tell Andy. Andy tells me to just try to go to sleep...he tells me I need my rest. (I'm laughing right now.) Four minutes later, I'm having another one. I get up and look at my watch. This is ridiculous. In just about 6 hours, I have an appointment to be induced, I have babysitters already arranged for the morning...what am I doing going into labor right now?

About 11:55...I tell Andy that we need to go to the hospital. He looks at me and says..."I don't want to...just try to go to sleep, we're going to be there in a few hours." I get up and start getting dressed and tell him to call somebody, we're going to the hospital right now. He must have seen the frantic look in my face because something clicked and he was up and on the phone. We called some awesome friends of ours and waited for them out in the car. They pulled up, and we left.

About 12:07...we arrive at hospital. Nurse asks me to rate my pain. I just look at her and tell her that I'm going to have my baby in a few minutes and to get me to the delivery room. Again, she must have seen that look in my eyes, because she didn't question me further. There wasn't time to admit me, there wasn't time for any pain meds, no epidural...this baby girl had waited long enough and she was coming...ready or not.
12:48...I was holding Lainah in my arms.
Her whole birth story brings a new meaning to the phrase "what a rush." Seriously...I thought it only happened that way in the movies.
But she is here, and we all love her so much. This was my hardest pregnancy by far, and I've been so anxious to finally meet this little one. She was well worth every day of pain that started at week 21. She is so loved by her siblings, they love holding her, and even little Matthew has mastered the word "cute" and says it all the time. "Cute baby Lainey."
A little tidbit about her name. I was named after my great grandmother, Olive Lorraine (Cluff) Orme...my middle name is Lorraine. Growing up, I loved knowing that my middle name came from my great grandmother, and I loved reading about her in the family history binder that I received in high school. She was a great lady. I've kind of been waiting to pass the name on to one of our girls...and it just felt right that we give it to Lainah.
Sorry for the overload of pictures...but I think there are some anxious grandparents who want to see what their grand daughter looks like...so here she is!
First few moments with Mommy. I actually wouldn't let them take her for quite a while. The weighing and measuring could wait.
Sucking her thumb...Mommy thinks it's cute...Daddy says we need to get her on a binki.

And here is her cute little foot escaping from the blanket.

Andy brought the kids in Monday night to visit and have our traditional ice cream party at the hospital. Matthew found some chips that Daddy had stashed in the suitcase, plopped down in the chair and started chomping. Brooklynn was so excited to hold her new baby sister. Rachel's turn...they all kept saying how cute she was. And Taylor doesn't seem to mind holding the baby...even if she is a girl instead of a boy. :) Dad, you'll like that he is wearing his compass around his neck. See the string? I thought it was so funny that he wore his compass to the hospital. Here are the kids looking at her tiny fingers.

I think that part of the nurses' training is how to swaddle babies. I can never get them swaddled like this!

Monday morning the sun came out...so we took advantage of the rare winter sun.Tuesday morning we were able to come home...so here she is...a little upset that Mommy took her warm blankets off in order to put her in her going home clothes.

And the going home clothes were way too big...as always. :)

She is just so beautiful. She has dark, nearly black hair...same color as Mommy's (we'll see if it stays that way) and cute little dimples.

And here she is bundled up in her carseat. Funny to think that in just a few short months she'll be too big for this carseat that she's presently drowning in.

Grandma Ruth sent Lainey and Mommy and Daddy some flowers...they are beautiful!

And I'm thinking that Lainah will be the most spoiled of all...her two sisters would hold her all day if they could. There is a rule that the kids have to scrub their hands before holding her...we're going to run out of hand soap soon. I don't think I've ever seen my kids wash their hands so often!

Here's Rachey "watching" Lainah for me. I think she'd been home from school maybe 5 minutes? I just think it's so sweet how much they all love her. I hear stories of kids being jealous, and all the nurses were giving me free advice about buying presents for the older kids. Hmm...my kiddos just love her. Matthew I have to be careful with, because he tends to love a little to hard right now...but the older three are just so good with her!

I just don't think there's anything more beautiful or more sweet than a sleeping babe.

And I just have to say a big "Thank You" to all of our awesome friends out here in Cleveland who came over in the middle of the night, who watched kids during the day, who picked them up from school, dropped them off to school, made meals, took the kids on an outing, etc, etc. I love you all, and just couldn't have done this without you.

And a big "Thank You" to our family members and friends who live far away and sent cards and gifts in the mail, called, and said prayers in our behalf. We love you all and are thankful for each one of you!

26 comments:

Holly said...

She is beautiful, I just love the pictures especially the sweet one of you and you husband! Congrats!

Anthony and Rachel Orme said...

Sherrie she is absolutely adorable! Congrats on your newest family member. I'm sure she is going to get lots of love.

Steve and Katie said...

I have been checking EVERYDAY for these wonderful photos! We are so glad to finally meet our newest niece. Andy & Sherrie, she IS gorgeous! Good job on such a quick delivery Sher! We miss you and can't wait to meet Lainey in person.

Ashlee and Shane said...

She is so beautiful! That was a dang fast delivery! Holy cow! :)Congratulations!

Sariah said...

Congratulations!!!

She is beautiful, you are beautiful, your family is beautiful! Thank you for posting so many pics! :)

Jamie H. said...

Congrats! She is SO beautiful...and so lucky to have such loving brothers and sisters!! I hope you are recovering well!

Ammieloris said...

Wow! Such a fast labor! Good work, Sherrie! Lainah is beautiful! I love her dark hair. It would be fun if one of your kids had your dark hair. ;) I also thinks he is so advanced, already sucking on her thumb, which trick Gideon hasn't yet figured out... I love her name--Lorraine has been a favorite of mine since I was little, thanks to my 3rd grade teacher.

Kristen said...

Congradulations!!! What a beautiful addition to your family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you as you finish the "dental school experiance".

The JL McGregor Family said...

New babies evoke strong emotions in me. It reminds me of my own experiences--the labor, the new baby, the new mom all over again. They are so perfect and so tiny with this giant spirit in them waiting to grow and learn. She's beautiful. Congratulations!

Lauren said...

She is beautiful! Congrats guys! I totally teared up when I saw the picture of you and Andy looking at her in the hospital. What a sweet moment. There is nothing like a new baby to bring so much joy into your home.

Grant Family said...

Congrats Thuernagle family! What an adorable new addition to the family. I just can't wait for mine to come now! We are so glad that everything went well and that mom and baby are home and healthy. Cant wait to meet Lainah. LOVES FROM IDAHO!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

HOORAY FOR YOU! And she is as beautiful as you say. Another Miss Idaho in the making. I guess I better get on the treadmill, my competition might be young but I'm... huh? I guess I lose!

Alison said...

Congrats!

Bridi said...

She is beautiful! Congratulations, I'm glad that things went so well for you and that she's here and doing well. Your older kids are at such fun ages that they can really enjoy her and be helpful to you as well.

Dave and Loralee said...

She's BEAUTIFUL! I'm so happy for you. You have such a great family. Brooklynn informed me of her name yesterday and it was so cute the way she said it :)
way to go on bringing another wonderful baby into this world!!

Mohna said...

Yipee she's here! And she waited like a good girl! I hope everything is going well and we send our love to you!

The Bell Family said...

Congratulations on another beautiful addition! You look great and glowing like a new mommy should! All our love ~The Bell's

thekerrclan said...

YEAH - Congratulations! She is a beauty...and so little. I really can't imagine! I'm so glad she is here...you are home...and all is well. We're really happy for you -- for all of you!

elizabeth said...

OOh!! She's so cute!! Sherrie, maybe this IS your dark haired girl - but I guess you never know with babies until the get a bit older... :D She is adorable. Congrats!

D.Suth. said...

congratulations...glad you made it to the hospital in time.
We're so happy for you.

gregandlaura said...

Congrats Sherrie! She is so cute - I cannot believe that story - I am so glad you got to the hospital in time!! Enjoy the cuddles!

Thanks to the keeper of the stars said...

Congratulations Thuernagles! She is absolutely beautiful! You look great too Sherrie. What a precious blessing from above. Give her a kiss for us!

Brek said...

She is beautiful! Nice and PINK! :) Glad to hear that it went so quickly (yet smoothly) for you. Congratulations!

Cannon Clan said...

sherrie so is so cute, just like the rest of your beauties. congrats, i'm so gald she is here! good luck with everything, you guys are almost done! have you started boards crazyness yet?

kirstensblog said...

She really is a beautiful baby! Reading your story about how quickly she came brought back so many memories with the twins' birth! I related so well with your experience! Ouch.

Lexie said...

Congratulations. She and you and her sisters are just beautiful. You can tell how much all her siblings love and adore her. I love that she sleeps in the changing table, a girl has to be cozy, right? She is such a lucky girl to come to your family and it looks like you are so lucky to have her, I just wish I could come over and hold her! Give her a hug for me.