Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Boys' Room is DONE!!!

Okay. When we moved into our house, Taylor's room had off-white wallpaper with metallic blue and silver swirly things in it. It was AWFUL...to make it worse, it was peeling. And behind the peeling wallpaper was ugly brownish yellowish wallpaper glue. To make it even worse, the carpet was orangy browny shaggy stuff. To make it even worse...no, I don't really think anything could be all that worse...it was just plain ugly. But hey, we're students so...we deal with it, right?

So, over the past couple of years I've slowly worked on little things here and there...like the one day that I had just "HAD IT!" with that ugly wallpaper and tore it all down. Brooklynn thought that was so awesome, watching mom just start pulling the walls down. She immediately went into her room and started ripping her wallpaper...but that's another story for another post.

Long story short...the room is finished except for doors and flooring, which will come a little later. I love how the room turned out...it is so fun, and well worth the work it took to make it new!

I can't believe it, but I really didn't take any "before" pictures...but if you look in the background of this picture you can see where the wallpaper is only halfway there...and what's behind it is glue haze over old dirty paint.


And here is the room after all the work. I love it. I took about a month to do prep work...filling holes, sanding, filling and sanding again...etc.,etc. Then Andy showed me how to install a chair rail, and it took a while, but I actually got it on STRAIGHT and LEVEL!!! The fun part was painting. Tay has wanted a blue room forever...so I chose these two colors with white trim. Then I put a border of airplanes around the top of the room (so it looks like I may be making him a new quilt this winter to match the airplane theme) and I put the old blinds out on the tree lawn and installed...yes, my favorite...the 2'' faux wood blinds.

This is a closeup of the "buddy wall" as Taylor calls it. I think it turned out really fun. I am a collector of Willowtree figurines...and yes, I designed an entire wall around this "Brothers" figurine. Obsessed? Maybe. A strong maybe.

And here's the slideshow that includes all of the pictures from start to finish...enjoy!






9 comments:

Oliver and Keisha said...

How fun--looks awesome! Hope you're feeling better!

D.Suth. said...

looks so good! Don't you love the feeling of a nice new room?

Your recipe looks great btw, I will have to try it :)

Ammieloris said...

It looks great! I can tell you put in a lot of work. It also looks amazingly tidy!

David and Melissa Belnap said...

Sherrie that looks great! I love the two/tone blue with the chair rail! It looks like a great boys room:)

Lexie said...

Your room looks awesome! I love the two colors of blue, the chair rail and the airplanes. You are seriously amazing. I think my favorite is the willow tree wall. I love them too and I love the saying, way to go!

thekerrclan said...

You amaze me - you are the project QUEEN -- all while raising 4 children. Impressive.

Kristen said...

Isn't it a nice feeling when a project is done? Too bad you have to look around and see all the others that need doing.

HeatherC said...

Fantastic job! So adorable.

Dave and Loralee said...

I'm finally catching up on the month of May...that room looks GREAT! I need to come over and see all the things you've done-I'm excited to see how the girls room turns out!