Okay. I HAVE to vent this one out...
I was at Walmart doing some grocery shopping today. Buying milk, cheese, anything I can get there because it's less than the grocery stores, then I head over to Dave's Market for the fresh stuff. So, I have my cart loaded with canned goods, dairy, some hot dogs, and some frozen items, and I have Matthew and Brooklynn with me. This lady is ahead of me in the checkout line, and her cart is filled beyond capacity. Truly, this woman had a talent at cart-packing. Her cart was filled with a couple matching comforter sets, a couple of candle do-dah thingys, an X-Box 360, and a brand spanking new 26+inch tv/dvd combo.
Hmm...no judgement on my part, people are entitled to buy whatever they feel like, fine with me. UNTIL!!! They have the audacity to make comments like these!
I make a nice comment on how pretty her comforter sets are, and she tells me that she "just couldn't not buy them, she saw them and loved them." and then she admits that "I actually didn't come in here to buy comforters, my two boys are at the dentist right now, and I promised them that if they were good for the dentist that I would buy them an X-box and a TV for their room."
So, I'm totally taken aback. In fact, I'm thinking..."WOW! I totally lost the parent lottery here! Gee Mom and Dad! I was good for Dr. Cutforth all of those years...and what did I get?" (of course I'm kidding guys.) So, I say "Wow, they're pretty lucky boys! How nice of you!" and she says, "Ya, but the dentist is gunna kill me, cuz now I don't think I have enough cash left to pay him."
But she doesn't stop there. She takes a glance at my cart and says, "Wow, you sure are buying a lot of food." "I wish I could afford to feed my family that well." OKAY. Here is the point where she left herself WIDE OPEN for my judgements...but I was very proud of myself. I kept all of my meanest thoughts to myself...thoughts like, "hey, return the x-box and tv and you'll have about $500.00 to spend on food today!!!"
Instead, I simply smiled...took a deep breath, and said, "I sure wish I could afford an x-box and new tv!" (I decided to let her off the hook for the comforter sets and candles...who knows? Maybe she really did NEED new comforter sets and tacky candles!)
There ya have it folks. Everyone has different priorities as to what they do with their finances...for 6 out of the nearly 10 years that Andy and I have been married we've been students, and now we're students living off of loans which we carefully budget to support a family of 6. Not easy. Sometimes you have to not buy the things that you just "Have to Have"...because that's what you do to make things work.
I do regret one thing about today. I lied to that lady. oops. I don't wish that I could afford an x-box...nope. If I had my choice...it would be a Nintendo wii.
Ahh....that was therapeutic. Thanks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
LOL. I am always surprised when people say things that I think are too mean or whiny to be said. :) You did a good job dealing with her! And though I'm sure you know this, your children will be infinitely healthier having a mother who spends money on good food versus bad entertainment. Oy! I hate confrontations!
Sherrie, you are so funny!(and nice) I probably would have told her what you were actually thinking! You guys amaze me! All your hard work and budgeting will pay off in the end! Some day someone won't be able to pay for Andys services because they bought their kids an x-box and tv. Won't that be fun! Way to go on keeping your cool!
I think the same things when I'm at the store. At least your conversation validated your suspicions; I usually just continue in my unmitigated prejudice.
You will be rewarded for your discipline. I remember those days--watching every penny, except for the occassional splurge to expand my antique domino collection. There is certainly light at the end of the tunnel (for you, not the lady with the neatly packed basket--there's a bankruptcy lawyer waiting for her).
Sherrie I'm amazed at your tact about the second sentence in I would have probably had it. You did very well. Didn't you want to say that "gee, I will have to remember this when my husband is a dentist"?
You guys are all so awesome! Thanks for letting me vent! :) Yes, Kristen...the thought came to my mind of taking fillings out and sending patients home with holey teeth...not very nice huh. But perhaps that would make the point pretty clear...X-box...or being able to chew food!!!
some people! ha ha, i wonder what i buy that people laugh at...probably slim fast and five candy bars :)
Ahhh Walmart gotta love it and the random Cleveland costumers there! That is a great story! Funny.
You know me...I love a good vent session! Too funny. I'd like to say, "Only in Cleveland"...but this is so not the case! I also laughed at Heidi's comment...too funny. Thanks for the laughs.
PS - you showed nice restraint.
oh wow....wouldn't bribery like that be nice!! sheesh.... Very interesting story for sure! Yes, people do have different priorities.... very different. :) wow. You are amazing!
we have seen similar things in every place we have lived. Having choices is one thing that makes this country so great. But when people sirk responsibilty to pay for necessities or bills it is a bit irksom. So glad you restrained yourself. We each learn at our own pace and until we are ready to learn we just get frustrated or mad at others. Good Job Sherrie.
Trever Belnap Family
PS I worked at a grocery store while going to school so I know endless combinations of funny purchases and have been guilty of many of them over the years.
I don't miss that about Cleveland! That is what the NICU was like every day! The kids look really cute. Tell Rachel that I said hello! Sorry that sno-shack made you homesick. :) They really are great though!
hehe Sherrie, your funny. I totally agree with you!!! It drives me nanners when you see people like that. And there are so many like that. It's just silly.
How have you been by the way? How long are you staying in cleve for? we should get together one day:)
suzie
Loved the story about priorities. Maybe we should talk to Mom and Dad about all the times we were good at Cutforth's office. =)
Trever
ahhh...that was one of the best posts I've read in a long time! I love reading the ones where I TOTALLY get into the story and start having conversations with those people in my head! You showed AMAZING restraint. I think maybe I might have stared at her in silent shock instead of continuing the conversation with politeness.
Hope you guys are getting better!
Sherrie,
Hope you are able to get some needed rest (yes insert laugh) and get over the crud. Emily
hahah!! Oh how I miss cleveland and walmart! haha or maybe not. :) that story was hilarious and brought back some funny memories!
Post a Comment