Thursday night we checked into the hotel in Heber City, which was close enough to the hospital that Andy could walk over, leaving me with the van so that I could take the kids places. Friday morning, it was snowing. Hard. Big huge flakes of it. So I loaded the kids up, and we drove 30 minutes to Park City to do a little shopping at the outlets. I love Park City. I've been going to Park City and to the Park City outlets ever since I was a kid with my family, and it was fun to take my kiddos there to show them around. It's amazing how it has grown since I was there last. There are so many more condominium developments, it's crazy! So we spent a couple hours walking around the outlet stores, found Taylor some great shoes from the Nike outlet, he was ELATED to have some Nike shoes. Matthew had fun at the Nike store kicking a soccer ball with one of the employees. Too funny. And the clerk who checked us out couldn't believe that the shoes were for Taylor. They were a half size larger than the shoes he wears...and he is a full-grown adult. Poor guy. Tay wears a size 9 mens.
Then we went back to the hotel, changed into suits and went swimming for a couple of hours. There was nobody else in the pool, so the kids and I had it to ourselves. It was so fun. This picture is of the kids after we finally went back to the room. They were exhausted. I fixed some lunch and we turned on a movie...and then I went to sleep. I slept solid for a couple of hours. Now THAT'S what I call a vacation!
There were a lot of cowboys and cowgirls walking around our hotel. No kidding. I haven't heard, "Howdy Ma'am" or "howdy pardner" so often before! Breakfast was especially entertaining. They all seemed to get a kick out of how much bacon Matthew could eat. I couldn't help myself and had to ask the next morning at breakfast if there was a rodeo going on that I didn't know about. Sure enough, there was a big college rodeo going on right there in Heber City at the indoor arena...and they told me that I should bring the kids and come watch. So...that's what we did Saturday while Andy was in class. The kids and I went to a rodeo. Matthew made friends with a couple of CSI (College of Southern Idaho) steer wrestlers who were sitting in front of us. They were laughing at how excited he would get when the horses would burst out of the gates at a full run. He was pretty funny. The girls were worried about the calves and goats legs during the tying events...but were reassured by several people that it didn't hurt. "Whatever!" I thought...but kept to myself! I tried to imagine how we humans would like it if someone came flying off a running horse at us, threw us down on our side and then strapped our ankles together all under 3 seconds. Whew! That would be a bit of a shocker! We stayed there for about two hours before heading back for another long swim and then movie and nap. Well, movie for kids and nap for mom.
Sunday morning, we checked out of our hotel...and needed to wait a few hours before we could check into our condominium in Midway...so we drove down to Salt Lake City and went to church at a ward in Sugar House. Something that Andy and I have always done, starting on our Honeymoon, is that when we're out of town, we still pack church clothes and find a ward or branch to attend on Sunday. It has been really fun and interesting over the years to meet people in all different areas of the nation. Now that we have our children, it has been a great learning opportunity for them to see that the church really is the same no matter where you are. The lessons are the same, the sacrament prayers are the same, etc. and it has been really nice to show them that no matter where they are, they can always find other members of the church and be safe and be surrounded by people who can help them.
Over the years, it has also been very difficult not to "grade" the different wards we've gone to based on their friendliness. I am so sad to say that this ward in Sugar House, Utah...didn't fair too well on the friendliness scale. Not one person, no, not one, said "hello" to us...and I consider Andy and myself to be very friendly and outgoing smiling people! But, they scored really high on the "entertaining" scale...so we'll forgive them. It was Fast and Testimony meeting...and let's just say that they had some really interesting ducks. See? Yet another example of how the church is the same not matter which ward you attend.
After church, we stopped at a cute little park with a duck pond to eat lunch. It was a pretty day, and there were lots of people out. I think the best part of the picnic lunch was this huge gigantic dog that some people were "walking." Truth of it was, it looked like the dog was walking HIS pets, not the other way around. This dog looked like a mix between a greyhound and a great dane...and maybe a dalmation. He was tall and had the head and chest of a Great Dane, the back end of a Greyhound...and spotted like a dalmation. I just laughed and said it really wasn't a dog, it was an Appaloosa. Only Tay and Andy got the joke. Looks like I need to teach our kids a little bit about Idaho's State Horse.
From our picnic, we continued on down to temple square, and toured the Conference Center. We've never been inside the Conference Center before, so this was a great experience for all of us. I loved it. They still had it all decorated up for the YW General Broadcast, and were doing preparations for General Conference. The kids took a special interest in everything and thought it was really pretty neat that they were looking down at the very podium that the Prophet would be speaking at in a week.
Here are the kids in the main level of the conference center. Pretty spectacular.
Matthew enjoyed the tour, but truth be told, he was so much more interested in the escalators, the ropes separating himself from restricted areas, and buttons and knobs. A true boy, through and through.
Matthew enjoyed the tour, but truth be told, he was so much more interested in the escalators, the ropes separating himself from restricted areas, and buttons and knobs. A true boy, through and through.
Here's Matthew and Lainey by the fountain in the main atrium of the Conference Center. We had Matthew's hair all combed that morning...a sacrament meeting, and a picnic later...this is what it looks like. These two loved the fountain.
The Conference Center has a lot of different art displayed throughout, and I loved it. This sculpture was really neat because the sculptor didn't use any paints or stain on the wood. He carved exposing the different shades...I thought it was amazing.
The Conference Center has a lot of different art displayed throughout, and I loved it. This sculpture was really neat because the sculptor didn't use any paints or stain on the wood. He carved exposing the different shades...I thought it was amazing.
This stained glass window reminded me of the Palmyra Temple windows. I loved that the kids recognized immediately what the picture was. Whew! Someone's paying attention to Family Home Evening lessons!
Here's Lainah in the upper balcony of the Conference Center. It is SO high up there. I didn't really like it. I'm afraid of heights, and the kids made me worried...not that they were doing anything wrong, I just worried that they would go down the aisle to the end and fall off. Silly me. I was amazed at how big it is, and I told Rachey that in a few years when she is in Young Women's, that I would take her to the broadcast here over Spring Break. What an experience that will be.
Here's Lainah in the upper balcony of the Conference Center. It is SO high up there. I didn't really like it. I'm afraid of heights, and the kids made me worried...not that they were doing anything wrong, I just worried that they would go down the aisle to the end and fall off. Silly me. I was amazed at how big it is, and I told Rachey that in a few years when she is in Young Women's, that I would take her to the broadcast here over Spring Break. What an experience that will be.
I love this picture of little Brooklynn. We are not yet out on the roof of the center, but one of the upper levels where some of the fountains come down. It was beautiful, and Brooklynn loved watching the water.
Here we are out on the roof. Our tour guide was so fun and was telling Andy and I all sorts of interesting little tidbits of information. For example, he told us that this tower is actually made of a few support beams, and then styrofoam covered with a thin laminate layer of granite. It would be too heavy if it were solid rock. That cracked me up, and I asked him if they got the idea from wedding cakes. He looked at me kind of funny, and asked me if people really used styrofoam for wedding cakes. I let him in on the secret...that yes, sometimes they do indeed! Aha! We both learned something that day!
Here we are out on the roof. Our tour guide was so fun and was telling Andy and I all sorts of interesting little tidbits of information. For example, he told us that this tower is actually made of a few support beams, and then styrofoam covered with a thin laminate layer of granite. It would be too heavy if it were solid rock. That cracked me up, and I asked him if they got the idea from wedding cakes. He looked at me kind of funny, and asked me if people really used styrofoam for wedding cakes. I let him in on the secret...that yes, sometimes they do indeed! Aha! We both learned something that day!
It was a little sad to me how many tall buildings have gone up around the temple, but it is still so beautiful.
Matthew is NOT afraid of heights. He kept us busy, that's for sure. What a little mischief maker.
Matthew is NOT afraid of heights. He kept us busy, that's for sure. What a little mischief maker.
Throughout this little vacation, Taylor made me think of missionary pictures. Some of his pictures, he just looks like a missionary out exploring his area. As I post pictures from other days, you'll see what I mean. So here's where he started, in front of the temple.
Tay and I both laughed at this picture. It was a cloudy day, but the sun was coming out so we're squinting. It really just looks like we're giving Andy a funny look or something...
Tay and I both laughed at this picture. It was a cloudy day, but the sun was coming out so we're squinting. It really just looks like we're giving Andy a funny look or something...
I loved the gardens on the roof, and I'd love to go back when all the flowers are out. Still, the trees, shrubs, and fountains were really pretty.
Another shot of Rachey in front of the temple.
Another shot of Rachey in front of the temple.
And here we all are. It was a fun and interesting tour, and a great Sunday activity.

We were all tired and ready to go check into the condo and get unpacked again...and rest!
No comments:
Post a Comment